Oakland, Alameda County approve stadium deal to try to keep Raiders

The Alameda County board of supervisors voted on Wednesday morning to do its part to keep the Raiders in Oakland -- and out of Las Vegas. According to ABC7News.com, the supervisors "granted a group of investors fronted by former Raider Ronnie Lott to negotiate a new stadium deal."

The Oakland City Council will take up the issue later Wednesday.

More, via ABC7News.com:

It would be a $1.3 billion deal headed by Ronnie Lott and for his private investor group. It involves roughly $350 million in public money in the form of land and future revenue all paying for a new stadium, a hotel and development. Essentially, the board of supervisors approved negotiations between investors and the team, which would still need to make up its own mind.

Lott, a Hall of Famer who played for both the 49ers and Raiders (when they were in Los Angeles) was asked what's next for him and his investors.

"Wake up tomorrow and know we still have a long way to go," he said. "We still have to convince the NFL. We still have to convince Mark Davis."

Alameda County Supervisor Nate Miley added: "We have good relationships with the Raiders since Al Davis passed away. More trust than when Al was alive."

Davis has said previously that the Raiders would likely stay in Oakland through the end of the lease in 2018.

"We have a one-year lease with two one-year options, so the commitment is there if we want to take it," Davis said. "I think it would be best for the families of our players and the players themselves just to know where they're going to be."

Plenty of questions remain. Would the city and county sell or lease land? What happens to the $91 million stilled owed on the Coliseum. And if this is to be a football-only facility, where will the Oakland A's play?

In October, Davis talked about possibly playing a preseason game in Vegas in 2017, though he also conceded that even if the team was approved for relocation by the other owners, the move might not happen until 2020 at the earliest. It was also around this time that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league will continue to negotiate with Oakland.

"We are engaging also because we want to support the effort, we want to make sure that there's nothing that we haven't missed," he said. "Mark's expressed his frustration about the lack of progress, we understand that, but we want to be engaged and we want to see if there's a solution with the officials in Oakland."

In related news: Nevada approved $750 million in public funding for a Vegas stadium in October, but construction can't begin until the city knows if an NFL team will actually be playing there.

CBS Sports Writer

Ryan Wilson has been an NFL writer for CBS Sports since June 2011, and he's covered five Super Bowls in that time. Ryan previously worked at AOL's FanHouse from start to finish, and Football Outsiders... Full Bio

Our Latest Stories