Parcells coaching the Saints? People who know him can see it happening
The idea that Bill Parcells could potentially replace Sean Payton while he's suspended was a hot story at the Breakers Hotel during the owners meeting on Monday.
|Bill Parcells helping Sean Payton out isn't such a far-fetched idea. (US Presswire)|
The idea that Bill Parcells could potentially replace Sean Payton while he's suspended was a hot story at the Breakers Hotel during the owners meeting on Monday. During the annual Monday night reception, I decided to ask as many people as I could that know Parcells if it was possible. While I don't believe it's right to quote them at a party, it did turn into a very funny session and a good reason to reflect on Coach Parcells.
Surprisingly, the majority of the answers were "yes." Here are the statements that followed the question.
1) Bill really likes Sean Payton and would do it for him.
2) It's the perfect job for Bill to go in run the ship, enjoy Drew Brees and get out without his old retirement speech.
3) This is a new one in a long list of roles Parcells has had in the NFL and he might really like something different.
4) He will look at this team and believe he can win a Super Bowl with Brees, which would intrigue him enough to do it.
5) Parcells has already played enough golf and probably is itching to do something like this.
6) Bill doesn't have to hire a staff, run the draft or any of the other jobs that could wear him out -- a dream job for him at this point.
7) The job isn't a rebuild or even a reload and he doesn't have to worry about the owner who will probably pay him a ton.
8) The Super Bowl is in New Orleans and he can see himself coaching the game.
9) Expect the unexpected from the Tuna.
10) He's probably wind up being the president of the club in 2013.
Finally, it was clear the people that know him stopped and thought about the question, laughed a little and could in their minds see Parcells coaching the Saints.
Cliff Avril's NFL career might be over
Oct. 18 is a very special day in NFL lore
The Falcons should not be making any plans for Minnesota in February
The Colts star quarterback could end up missing the entire 2017 season
Not even two Super Bowl wins is enough to get Eli Manning any respect
The Jags' future could have plenty of teal in store