Reggie Bush latest player against NFL games on Thursday
Lions RB Reggie Bush is the latest player to speak out against Thursday games.
Add Lions running back Reggie Bush's name to the list of players who think Thursday Night Football is a terrible idea. The NFL has championed safety for much of commissioner Roger Goodell's tenure but the league doesn't think having teams play on only three days of rest is a problem.
(The NFL will tell you that there is no evidence to support the claim that Thursday games lead to more injuries; many players would disagree.)
"I’m not a huge fan of it," Bush said, according to CBS Detroit. “We don’t get a lot of time for our bodies to recover. Football games -- I always try to relate them to for the average person -- it’s just like being in a car crash. Like literally every time you’re getting hit is like being in a car crash. Imagine as a running back you’re getting hit -- I touched the ball at least 20 to 30 times a game, that’s 20 to 30 car crashes you’re in in two hours. It’s tough to get your body back ready that quick for a game on Thursday."
Several months ago, 49ers wideout Anquan Boldin sounded a similar tone: "I mean if [the NFL is] so concerned about player safety, then why do you have every team in the league playing on Thursday night when they just competed on a Sunday, knowing how difficult it is for guys to get back to being healthy after playing on Sunday?"
And earlier this week, Texans tackle Duane Brown told MMQB's Robert Klemko, "You talk about player safety, but you want to extend the season and add Thursday games? It’s talking out of both sides of your mouth."
But the NFL has no plans of doing away with Thursday games, primarily because there are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.
Here's how CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora explained it in October, when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hinted the NFL was considering Thursday night double-headers:
"Within a year or two, I strongly believe [the Thursday-night schedule will] go back to six or seven games after Thanksgiving on NFL Network, and [the NFL] will try to sell off that other package of six or seven to Turner, to NBC, to [CBS], to whomever, and pocket another $750 million," La Canfora said. ... "And that's one way to get the salary cap up. Because ... the salary cap hasn't really moved since 2009, and this new TV money from the existing contracts probably won't start kicking in until 2015."
That's right, this all comes down to money. Shocking, we know.
These prospects aren't first-round locks now but could be in for a rise after the Senior B...
Newman was the oldest defensive player in the league to get regular snaps this season
Some Midwest companies seem to think that no Vikings fans will make it out of Philadelphia...
Mike Tierney has owned NFL totals and has a strong pick for the NFC Championship Game
Jackson was upset Pittsburgh players were looking ahead to a Patriots rematch
The bulletin board material is piling up for Sunday's AFC Championship game