Two-Round 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Texans get Clowney, Bridgewater
Many rated Teddy Bridgewater No. 1 last year. Now he's No. 1 in Round 2 as the Texans get Jadeveon Clowney and their QB in this two-rounder.
After 11 mock drafts, 11 weeks of dissecting and chopping every player as if they were a piece of fruit in a blender, it's time to finally unveil the final mock draft.
I hate it. Why? The uncertainty this year is like no other. I didn't include trades in this mock, but I wanted to do so. I still think the Houston Texans prefer to move down and take Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles rather than stay in the first spot. Call it a hunch.
But for this two-round mock, I am staying with Houston in the first spot with the selection of South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney .
I don't like it, though.
As I went through this mock, I found myself thinking I'd be lucky to get five right. Then again, it's been that way every year.
Maybe the uncertainty will help me hitting some of these picks.
Just think: We only have nine more months to my first 2015 mock. I bet you can't wait.
1. Houston Texans -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: I still think they might trade back to take a quarterback, but I am sticking with this pick for now.
2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn: They could play him at guard for a year and then move him to left tackle. Or he could just take over at right tackle.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: They could move back and take a quarterback like Johnny Manziel , but for now I will give them Mack.
4. Cleveland Browns -- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: OK, I am biting. I just don't get it. But I am biting.
5. Oakland Raiders -- Sammy Watkins , WR, Clemson: They love speed. They need speed. They get speed.
6. Atlanta Falcons -- Jake Matthews , T, Texas A&M: They have to upgrade their line and instead of moving up to take a pass rusher they stay put and land a good player at a need spot.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Mike Evans , WR, Texas A&M: They need a young receiver to go with Vincent Jackson , who isn't a kid anymore.
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Aaron Donald , DT, Pittsburgh: They get their next John Randle here to really stockpile talent inside.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Taylor Lewan , T, Michigan: He can move to the right side and give Buffalo a nice combo at tackle.
10. Detroit Lions -- Kyle Fuller , CB, Virginia Tech: I think he is the top-ranked corner, and they have a need. So he's the pick.
11. Tennessee Titans -- Anthony Barr , OLB, UCLA: He is an edge rusher on a team that needs an edge rusher. It works.
12. New York Giants -- Zack Martin, G-T, Notre Dame: Line versatility is key for Martin and his stock is rising.
13. St. Louis Rams -- Bradley Roby , CB, Ohio State: They pass on the safeties and opt to take a corner to go with their young duo.
14. Chicago Bears -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: They have big problems on the back end and he would bring range to a unit that needs it.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Odell Beckham Jr. , WR, LSU: I think they pass on the corners left here and take a receiver to help the passing game.
16. Dallas Cowboys -- Timmy Jernigan , DT, Florida State: They have to get defensive line help and he would provide it.
17. Baltimore Ravens -- Eric Ebron , TE, North Carolina: He isn't a huge need, but the talent is there. The Ravens would see the value.
18. New York Jets -- Justin Gilbert , CB, Oklahoma State: Their corner situation isn't good, so why not pick up a guy some have as the top-rated corner?
19. Miami Dolphins -- Morgan Moses , T, Virginia: He played both left and right tackle at Virginia and would play on the right side in Miami.
20. Arizona Cardinals -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: They need a young quarterback to develop and he is a Bruce Arians' style of passer.
21. Green Bay Packers -- Ryan Shazier , LB, Ohio State: They have to get faster and he plays faster than C.J. Mosley .
22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Brandin Cooks , WR, Oregon State: They get Desean Jackson's replacement without even moving up.
23. Kansas City Chiefs -- Marqise Lee , WR, USC: He was considered among the top receivers before the season, so there's value here. They need receiver help.
24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Jason Verrett , CB, TCU: If he's an inch taller, he goes a lot higher. They have age in their secondary.
25. San Diego Chargers -- Louis Nix , DT, Notre Dame: They need help in the middle of their line in the worst way. I think this would be a steal for them.
26. Cleveland Browns -- Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana: They got Manziel earlier, now they get him receiver help outside to go with Josh Gordon.
27. New Orleans Saints -- Darqueze Dennard , CB, Michigan State: Champ Bailey isn't a kid, so why not draft one at a position of need?
28. Carolina Panthers -- Cyrus Kouandjio, T, Alabama: They have a huge hole at left tackle and he would be a Day 1 starter.
29. New England Patriots -- Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville: The one thing they lack in the secondary is the big thumper. He could be that guy.
30. San Francisco 49ers -- Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska: They need a corner and he's a bigger corner in the mold of the Seattle corners.
31. Denver Broncos -- C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama: They have to get an inside linebacker and he would be a steal if he falls down here.
32. Seattle Seahawks -- Joel Bitonio, T, Nevada: He is a tough guy who could step in at right tackle or help at guard.
33. Houston Texans -- Teddy Bridgewater , QB, Louisville: They pass on a quarterback in Round 1 and get one in the second.
34. Washington Redskins -- Marcus Martin, C, USC: They need to get better inside and he could help make that happen.
35. Cleveland Browns -- Lamarcus Joyner , CB, Florida State: He could help in the slot and would be a valuable player to have in terms of versatility.
36. Oakland Raiders -- Derek Carr , QB, Fresno State: He was a guy they are said to love. In this draft, they get him in the second round.
37. Atlanta Falcons -- Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois: They have to get better on the back end and this kid is a playmaker.
38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Austin Seferian-Jenkins , TE, Washington: They have a lot of tight ends, but none in this class.
39. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State: They made a run at Alex Mack and didn't get him. So why not get a young center to build around?
40. Minnesota Vikings -- Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU: With a defensive coach, they continue to pick on that side of the ball.
41. Buffalo Bills -- Demarcus Lawrence , DE, Boise State: They are said to be looking to beef up the defensive line. So why not take a pass rusher here?
42. Tennessee Titans -- Keith McGill, CB, Utah: He's a bigger corner who would help fill the void left by Alterraun Verner 's departure.
43. New York Giants -- Chris Borland , LB, Wisconsin: They need help at linebacker and this is a Tom Coughlin-type of player.
44. St. Louis Rams -- Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State: His red-zone abilities will give them something they don't have.
45. Detroit Lions -- Ja'Wuan James, T, Tennessee: The right tackle spot needs upgrading.
46. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson: They need to get younger and better on the corner. He's a riser.
47. Dallas Cowboys -- Dee Ford , OLB-DE, Auburn: They are looking for help with the pass rush, and he could provide it.
48. Baltimore Ravens -- Ra'Shede Hageman, DL, Minnesota: This would be a typical Ravens pick: Great value.
49. New York Jets -- Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State: They need help to go with Eric Decker .
50. Miami Dolphins -- Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA: They have to get that line fixed, so why not two picks there in the first two rounds?
51.Chicago Bears -- Dominique Easley , DT, Florida: He is coming off knee surgery, but he is top-10 talent when healthy.
52. Arizona Cardinals -- Deone Bucannon , S, Washington State: They could use a thumper in the back two of their secondary.
53. Green Bay Packers -- Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State: Again speed is needed on defense and he would help fill a position of need.
54. Philadelphia Eagles -- Stephon Tuitt , DE, Notre Dame: Some thought he could be a first-round pick. So if he falls, it's a steal.
55. Cincinnati Bengals -- Carlos Hyde , RB, Ohio State: If they are going to run it more, they need a feature back.
56. San Francisco 49ers -- Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina: They took a corner in the first here, so now they address another position of need.
57. San Diego Chargers -- Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood: They have to get help outside for their coverage units.
58. New Orleans Saints -- Jordan Matthews , WR, Vanderbilt: They have to get more help in the passing game and Matthews would seem to be a good fit.
59. Indianapolis Colts -- Allen Robinson , WR, Penn State: Yes, they signed Hakeem Nicks , but Reggie Wayne is coming off a major injury. Why not get more help?
60. Carolina Panthers -- Brandon Coleman , WR, Rutgers: Have you seen their depth chart at receiver? This is a big target who can help Cam Newton in the red zone.
61. San Francisco 49ers -- Scott Crichton , DE, Oregon State: There is some age creeping in up front, and he would be a valuable reserve for now.
62. New England Patriots -- Jace Amaro , TE, Texas Tech: He is a pass-catching tight end who would fit nicely with Rob Gronkowski .
63. Denver Broncos -- Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice: They have to get a replacement for Champ Bailey outside to go with Chris Harris and Aqib Talib .
The Hall of Famer and former Bills great also thinks Trump needs to quit Twitter
Here's an early look at the lines for all NFL games being played in Week 4
The Giants wideout had his best game Sunday but had one head-scratching penalty
Brady, who is friends with the president, disagreed with his comments at a rally on Friday...
The Sooners quarterback has been awesome in 2017, but how should he be viewed as an NFL pr...
Look for Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott to rebound after a rough outing in Denver