Ball was charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct in connection with an alleged incident with his girlfriend last Friday morning, the Wisconsin State Journal reports.
Ball spent this past weekend in jail as a result of the confrontation, and while he avoided a potential felony on his record, routine police work in the aftermath of Friday's argument could prove to make this situation worse for the running back. During an interview with an officer, it was revealed that older bruises around her mouth were the result of Ball allegedly striking her with the back of his right hand on Feb. 1. While the initial misdemeanor has a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail, the latter equates to misdemeanor battery, which comes with a maximum jail sentence of nine months. His fate won't be known until a Mar. 1 court date, at which point the NFL will likely make a ruling on the matter.
Ball was arrested on Friday morning for allegedly battering his girlfriend at a Madison, WI hotel, Wisconsin State Journal reports.
After the Broncos released the running back on the cusp of the regular season, Ball was in football limbo until he joined the Patriots' practice squad in mid-December. He stayed on through the team's playoff push, but his services weren't retained in the form of a reserve/future contract once the season concluded with a loss in the AFC championship game. Friday's brush with the law won't necessarily put a halt to his NFL pursuits. Rather, his performance, or lack thereof, this past season was likely enough to steer interested parties in other directions.
Ball was signed to the Patriots' practice squad Tuesday, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.
With LeGarrette Blount (hip) uncertain for Week 15, there's some chance Ball will be promoted to the active roster. Still, the former second-round pick has been consistently unimpressive during his time in the NFL, and he'd likely just provide depth behind Brandon Bolden and former college teammate James White.
According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Bears are thought to be considering Ball, in the wake of Matt Forte's knee injury.
While it doesn't look like anything is imminent here, it's worth noting that Ball did work with Bears coach John Fox in Denver. With a series of running back injuries having hit the league this past weekend, this could be the best chance for Ball to catch on with a new team, after lingering in free agency since being cut by the Broncos in September.
Running back Montee Ball has cleared waivers and is a free agent, according to ESPN NFL reporter Field Yates. He was waived by the Broncos on Sunday.
The Falcons have expressed some interest in running back Montee Ball, according to The Denver Post. He was waived by the Broncos on Sunday.
The Broncos parted ways with running back Montee Ball, the team announced Sunday. Ball had fallen behind on the depth chart. He rushed for 172 yards on 55 attempts last season.
He was the Broncos' second-round pick in the 2013 draft. His best season with the Broncos was his rookie year when he rushed for 559 yards on 120 attempts.
The Broncos will not part ways with running back Montee Ball on Saturday, according to ProFootballTalk.
Ball was rumored to be on the trading block earlier this week, but Denver has not been able to find a suitor for the third-year player.
The Cowboys are not willing to trade for Broncos running back Montee Ball, but they would be interested if he was released, a source told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Ball has fallen down the depth chart in Denver.
The hiring of Gary Kubiak has altered the offensive focus of the Broncos from future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning to the ground game.
That is no problem for Montee Ball, who anticipates frequent two-back sets in which both he and C.J. Anderson man the backfield.
"With the situation right now, you got to use me and C.J.," he told the Denver Post. "I think you have to use two backs. It's a two-back system based on what he did last season."
Ball was referring to Kubiak's 2014 season as offensive coordinator in Baltimore in which he turned Justin Forsett into a productive back with a system that featured the running game. Kubiak used a two-back situation with Denver in 2005 (Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell) and Houston (Arian Foster and Ben Tate) in 2011. Both teams received strong production from both backs, but not necessarily in the backfield at the same time.
Kubiak, however, employs a stretch-run, zone-blocking scheme that depends on multiple running backs.
Ball, who was limited by injury to o 52 carries last season, might be optimistic in his belief that he is one of the top two backs on the roster. Ronnie Hillman and Juwan Thompson are also in the mix for playing time.
Montee Ball is third on the current depth chart among Broncos running backs, but he plans on landing in the top spot by the season opener.
A groin injury that forced Ball onto injured reserve last year limited him to five games and allowed C.J. Anderson and Ronnie Hillman to leapfrog over him. Juwan Thompson is also in the mix, so Ball understands his predicament.
"C.J. deserves the No. 1 spot right now," Ball told The Associated Press. "I like coming in and being the underdog, just keeping my head down, my mouth shut and just working."
Ball averaged just 3.1 yards on 55 carries a year ago. But he seeks to prove he's better than that, which he must do to supplant the others and nail down the featured back spot.
"Every player should be saying, if they're second or third on the depth chart: 'I'm better than that player. I'm better than him," Ball added. "Because I believe that I am. But there's no reason for me to be chanting that and yelling that. I'm just going ... to work and work and work."
Broncos coach Gary Kubiak declared that C.J. Anderson was the team's starting running back entering OTAs.
"He made a big jump as a player, and I think he's earned the right to walk in to the offseason program -- the OTAs -- and line up as our starter," Kubiak said, per DenverBroncos.com. "But he's got to continue to earn it on a daily basis. I think he's shown he has all the ability to be an excellent starter in this league, so we're really looking forward to working with him."
Anderson rushed for 849 yards and eight touchdowns last season, most coming late in the season, after Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman went down to injury.
"All those guys are young. I think all three of those guys ... have all kind of had their little spurts of success with the club when they've had their opportunity," Kubiak said. "But they're all young. Who's going to be the bell cow, who's going to play every down, who's going to be the three-down player, they've got to sort that out. C.J. has shown the flashes of doing that."
Broncos running back Montee Ball, limited to five games last season by a groin injury, promised he'll return "ready to win the job," reports ESPN.com. Ball was the starter entering the 2014 season, but in 2015 he'll likely vie for a backup role behind C.J. Anderson, who went to the Pro Bowl.
Ball also must compete with Juwan Thompson and Ronnie Hillman in the crowded backfield. Ball was ineffective before getting hurt, averaging 3.1 yards per carry.
Broncos running back C.J. Anderson, who scored 10 touchdowns from Week 10 onward, said he's excited about the zone-blocking scheme new coach Gary Kubiak is bringing, reports the Denver Post. The paper notes that in Kubiak's 11 seasons as an assistant in Denver, a Broncos rusher went over 1,000 yards 10 times.
"I have known about his system for a while, and what he accomplished," Anderson said of Kubiak. "One cut downhill and go get it. It fits me and the offense well. It's always been successful. He knows the team we have and what we can do. I can't wait to get started working with him."
Anderson will enter next season as the team's No. 1 back, though he'll have to fight off challenges from Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman. Anderson averaged 4.7 yards per carry and 9.5 yards per reception and became the ninth Broncos running back to make the Pro Bowl.
Broncos running back Montee Ball's season has come to a disastrous end on Saturday. The Broncos placed Ball (groin) on season-ending injured reserve in order to clear roster spots for linebacker Danny Trevathan on the 53-man active roster, per the team's official website.
Ball, a second-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, rushed for 559 yards behind Knowshon Moreno his rookie season. He underwent an emergency appendectomy 19 days before the start of the season. He was the uncontested No. 1 back for the first four weeks before suffering a groin injury Week 4 against Arizona. The injury cost Ball six weeks of game action, and he aggravated on the second play against St. Louis in Week 11. His 2014 campaign ends with only 172 yards and a score on 55 carries.
Broncos running back Montee Ball will miss his third straight game with a groin injury. Also out are tackle Paul Cornick and wide receiver Cody Latimer.
The following players are questionable: Jacob Tamme, Ronnie Hillman, and Kayvon Webster.
Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Malik Jackson, Juwan Thompson, Will Montgomery and Quanterus Smith are all considered probable.
The Broncos declared running back Montee Ball (groin), running back Ronnie Hillman (foot), wideout Cody Latimer (concussion), cornerback Kayvon Webster (shoulder), offensive tackles Chris Clark and Michael Schofield, and safety Quinton Carter (knee) inactive for the game against the Bills.
The Broncos unveiled a lengthy injury report for Week 14 against Buffalo. Eight of the 17 players on the list received the green light and were deemed probable for Sunday. Those players were: Running back C.J. Anderson (ankle), tackle Paul Cornick (shoulder), linebacker Lerentee McCray (illness), center Will Montgomery (knee), cornerback Aqib Talib (hamstring), wide receiver Demaryius Thomas (ankle), running back Juwan Thompson (knee) and wide receiver Wes Welker (rest)
Safety Quinton Carter (knee), defensive tackle Terrance Knighton (elbow), defensive end Quanterus Smith (ribs), tight end Jacob Tamme (ribs) and tight end Julius Thomas (ankle). Meanwhile, running back Montee Ball (groin), running back Ronnie Hillman (foot), wide receiver Cody Latimer (concussion) and cornerback Kayvon Webster (shoulder) were ruled out for Sunday.
The Broncos have listed the following players as inactive for Sunday night's game against the Chiefs: tight end Julius Thomas (ankle), cornerbacks Aqib Talib (hamstring) and Kayvon Webster (shoulder), running backs Montee Ball (groin) and Ronnie Hillman (foot) and tackles Michael Schofield and Chris Clark.
Thomas and Talib were questionable to play, while Ball, Hillman and Webster had all previously been ruled out.
The Broncos will have safety Quinton Carter (ankle) available for the game after he was listed as questionable on Friday's final injury report. The team also had five players listed as probable and all are active, including safety David Bruton (finger), tight end Virgil Green (calf), linebacker Brandon Marshall (concussion), defensive end Quanterus Smith (ankle) and running back Juwan Thompson (knee).
The Broncos ruled out running backs Montee Ball (groin), Ronnie Hillman (foot) along with cornerback Kayvon Webster (shoulder) for Week 13 against Kansas City. Deemed questionable were cornerback Aqib Talib (hamstring), tight end Julius Thomas (ankle) and safety Quinton Carter (ankle).
Meanwhile, the following players were ruled as probable for Sunday: Linebacker Brandon Marshall (concussion), defensive end Quanterus Smith (ankle), safety David Bruton (finger), tight end Virgil Green (calf) and backup running back Juwan Thompson (knee).