Wayne announced his retirement on Friday, Mike Chappell of IndySportsCentral.com reports.
Despite signing a one-year contract with the Patriots during training camp, Wayne did not play a regular season snap in 2015 after failing to make the 53-man roster. He was on pace for a strong season in 2013 with Indianapolis after recording 38 receptions through the first seven games of the season, but a torn ACL derailed that campaign and left him somewhat limited in 2014 at age 36. Regardless, Wayne will go down as one of the most prolific receivers of the past two decades as his 1,070 career catches place him seventh all-time--just eight receptions behind Terrell Owens.
Wide receiver Reggie Wayne is not expected to make the 53-man roster for the Patriots, a source told ESPN.
Wayne was signed in late August to a one-year deal. During his 14-year career, he has 1,070 receptions, 14,345 receiving yards and 82 touchdowns.
After being told by Colts general manager Jim Irsay that he was not in the team's plans moving forward, wide receiver Reggie Wayne still wants to play one more season, reports theindychannel.com. He has received interest from teams this offseason and he is weighing his options at this point.
“Just not done, yet,” he said, adding that signing with another team “will have to make sense to me. No doubt in my mind I’ve got a minimum of one, maybe two years left in me. I ain’t done, yet.”
Wayne insisted he’s gotten “damned good” interest from teams, but declined to name them. “I’m just going to consider my options,” per the same report.
Wayne was asked if he was disappointed in the team's decision to not keep him around.
“Was I disappointed? Yeah,” Wayne said. “But did it surprise me? I’m never surprised in this league. When they get rid of Peyton Manning, you know you ain’t nothing. When you see them get rid of Marvin Harrison, who am I? They got rid of Edgerrin James.
“But yeah, I was disappointed. Who isn’t disappointed when they’re told their credit card has been declined when they know they’ve got money in the bank. That was me. I knew I still could play, but I had been declined.”
Wayne, 36, has totaled 1,070 receptions for 14,345 yards and 82 touchdowns in 14 seasons with the Colts.
Former Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne may not be ready to hang it up just yet, According to NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, the 36-year-old has not closed the door on the idea of playing another season for a contender.
The Colts announced Friday that Wayne would not be back in Indianapolis next season. He played in 15 regular season games for the Colts in 2014, totaling 779 yards on 64 catches with two touchdowns. He ranks seventh in NFL history in career receptions and eighth in receiving yards after playing 14 seasons with the Colts.
Wayne is the Colts franchise leader in games played (211) and wins (143). He ranks second among all Colts players in receptions (1,070), receiving yards (14,345), receiving touchdowns (80), 100-yard performances (43) and consecutive games with at least one reception (134).
The Colts announced Friday that they will not re-sign veteran wide receiver Reggie Wayne, making him a free agent come Tuesday, per the team's official website. Wayne, who will turn 37 in November, had triceps surgery last week and may still be mulling retirement.
"It will allow (Reggie) to seek a better opportunity for playing time elsewhere if he so chooses," team owner Jim Irsay said in a statement.
Wayne played in 15 regular season games for the Colts in 2014, totaling 779 yards on 64 catches with two touchdowns. He has caught 1,070 passes in 14 seasons in Indianapolis.
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne underwent surgery Friday to repair his injured triceps, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network. Wayne, 36, is beginning rehab for the injury and is reportedly considering retirement, according to Rapoport.
Wayne played in 15 regular season games for the Colts in 2014, totaling 779 yards on 64 catches with two touchdowns.
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne hasn't decided if he wants to return for a fifteenth year with the franchise.
Team general manager Ryan Grigson met with the media at the Indianapolis scouting combine on Thursday and confirmed that the Colts are still waiting to hear about Wayne's plans for 2015.
Wayne, who turns 37 in November, had 64 catches for 779 yards and two touchdowns last season.
New Colts wideout Duron Carter got his first exposure to Andrew Luck during Pro Bowl practices. Carter's dad, Hall of Fame receiver and ESPN analyst Cris Carter, took Luck with the No. 1 overall pick.
“That was my first time seeing (Luck) and my first time really hearing about him,” Duron Carter told the team's website.
“Even just from my dad, hearing how Andrew handles people in the huddle, and just around the hotel, he’s just a great guy. Just to be a part of that and be around him I think will really help me and set my career in motion, where no one else could.”
Carter, who starred in the CFL the past two seasons, watched the Colts' loss to the Patriots in the AFC title game and thought he could flourish playing with Luck and a receiving corps led by T.Y. Hilton. He noted New England hounded Hilton with multiple defensive backs.
“I’m sitting there watching the playoff game and I said, ‘I felt like I could be out there and I could help in one of those situations,’ Carter said.
“Just on an every-down basis, me being able to go out there, winning one-on-one matchups when it’s called on me. A lot of teams do go man-to-man and pressure Luck, the only way you can beat that, for me, is to win those one-on-one opportunities with T.Y. over there.”
Carter, 23, who bounced from college to college due to off-field issues, realizes he has a golden opportunity. With Reggie Wayne unsure whether he'll return and Hakeem Nicks an unrestricted free agent, Indy could enter 2015 with Hilton, Donte Moncrief and Carter as its top three wideouts.
“It’s always been my dream to play in the NFL,” Carter said.
“Through decisions I made prior when I was younger, I hindered that opportunity. Getting into the CFL that was my motivation the whole time, every play, every snap, every catch, was I wanted to go to the NFL. Now that I’m here, my next goal is to make the Colts roster.”
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne and defensive end Cory Redding remain undecided about their futures in Indianapolis and with football.
The 36-year-old Wayne was held without a catch in Sunday's AFC Championship Game defeat in New England and will have surgery in the offseason on his injured triceps. However, Wayne told reporters Monday he will spend some with family away from the game before deciding on his immediate future with the Colts, according to Tom James of the Tribune Star.
Redding, a 12-year veteran, plans to do the same. He totaled 35 tackles in 2014 including 3 1/2 sacks.
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne was in no mood to talk about potentially returning for a 15th NFL season after Indianapolis lost 45-7 in the AFC title game Sunday at New England.
"I haven't thought about that. We just lost," Wayne said Sunday, per ESPN.
Wayne did mention he will have offseason surgery for a torn triceps.
"I don’t have a date set yet, but it's definitely on the calendar somewhere," he said. "At the end of the year, I felt the best I felt all year. Felt really good, felt really good tonight."
Wayne got off to a quick start in 2014, totaling 23 catches for 307 yards and one touchdown in four September games. However, his numbers quickly declined, especially after suffering an elbow injury in an Oct. 19 game against the Bengals. It was later revealed that Wayne -- who missed only one game -- was dealing with a torn triceps. He finished the season with 64 catches for 779 yards and two touchdowns.
Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson (not injury related), linebacker Erik Walden (knee) and wide receiver Reggie Wayne (not injury related) are all listed as probable for Sunday's AFC Championship Game at New England. All three practiced in full Friday.
The Patriots are considered 6 1/2-point favorites for Sunday's game.
Colts rookie receiver Donte Moncrief drew seven targets in the 24-13 playoff win at Denver, while veterans Hakeem Nicks (two) and Reggie Wayne combined for three targets. Moncrief caught just two of those for 32 yards, but it was another sign of Indy's pecking order behind No. 1 wideout T.Y. Hilton.
Nicks is having a solid postseason despite limited opportunities. After catching all three of his targets for 59 yards in the win over Cincinnati, Nicks corralled both his targets for 24 yards Sunday, including a 15-yard touchdown in traffic. Wayne was targeted once without a grab.
They'll all visit the Patriots in next Sunday's AFC Championship Game.
Colts receivers Donte Moncrief and Hakeem Nicks each caught three passes on three targets in Sunday's 26-10 playoff win over the Bengals. Moncrief produced 54 receiving yards, including a 36-yard touchdown to make it 20-10 midway through the third quarter.
Nicks went for 59 receiving yards, his second-highest output all season. Wideout Reggie Wayne was limited to a 12-yard reception on two targets. They'll all visit the Broncos in next Sunday's divisional playoffs.
Colts running back Trent Richardson, who was questionable with an illness, is active for Sunday's playoff game against the Bengals. He'll continue to back up Dan Herron.
All the Colts who were probable on the injury report also are active. The list includes wideout Reggie Wayne (groin), tight end Dwayne Allen (knee), linebacker Jerrell Freeman (hamstring), guard Joe Reitz (ankle), linebacker Erik Walden (knee) and linebacker Bjoern Werner (shoulder).
Indy is a 3.5-point home favorite.
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne was given a day of rest on Friday, though he's expected to be a full-go for Sunday's wild-card clash against Cincinnati, according to ESPN.
Wayne has battled numerous injuries since October. As a result, he has turned 116 targets into 64 catches for 779 yards. It's the sixth time he has been held under 1,000 yards in his 14 seasons in the league. He's expected to have offseason surgery on his torn triceps.
The Colts opened as a 6-point home favorite. The line has dropped to 3 points as of Friday, per VegasInsider.com.
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who will be a free agent in the offseason, indicated on his weekly WNDE radio show he would like to return to Indianapolis. Wayne has spent his entire 14-year career with the Colts, totaling 1,070 receptions for 14,345 yards and 82 touchdowns.
"If I had to answer that question right now, [the answer to] that question would be 'I will be back,'" Wayne said, per Pro Football Talk. "If the Colts want me. Because I’m not playing for nobody else."
Colts tight end Dwayne Allen (knee) and wide receiver Reggie Wayne (groin) practiced in full Thursday. Wayne was limited in practice Wednesday, while Allen practiced in full.
The Colts are considered 3-point favorites for Sunday's wild-card game vs. Cincinnati.
Colts wideout Reggie Wayne is practicing Wednesday after leaving the Week 17 win at Tennessee with a groin injury. Wayne is on track to play Sunday against the Bengals in the Wild Card game. Indy is a 3.5-point favorite.
Wayne, 36, said on his weekly radio show that as of now, he plans to return next year for a 15th season. Wayne caught 64 passes for 779 yards and two touchdowns in 15 games this season.
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne said Tuesday he hopes to be back to 100 percent for Indianapolis' wild card playoff game against the Bengals. Wayne tweaked his groin in Week 17 and was forced to leave the game.
“I’ll be ready to play. That’s the main thing. I’ll be at 100 percent," Wayne said. "It was actually as soon as I caught the pass. I guess I kind of twerked by body a little funny and when I came down to keep myself in bounds, I felt it then. I almost just ran right out of bounds but I didn’t think it would’ve looked good."
Wayne has also been dealing with a triceps injury for the last few weeks. He knows they will require surgery, but doesn't have a definitive timeframe for when that will happen.
The Colts are currently 3 1/2-point favorites against the Bengals Sunday.
Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Monday veteran wide receiver Reggie Wayne should be back at practice Wednesday or Thursday. Wayne left Sunday's game against the Titans due to a groin injury.
Hakeem Nicks is listed as Wayne's backup on the Colts' depth chart. The Colts opened as 6-point favorites over the Bengals for Sunday's playoff game, but the line has since moved to Indianapolis being a 4-point favorite, per VegasInsider.com.