Revis announced his retirement from professional football Tuesday in a post on his personal Instagram account.
One of the top cover men in NFL history, Revis played eight of his 11 seasons with the Jets and won a Super Bowl with the Patriots in 2014. He handled a significant role for the Chiefs in December and January, but he hasn't played at a high level since 2015, the first year of his second stint in New York. The 33-year-old cornerback finishes his career with 497 tackles, 140 passes defended and 29 interceptions in 145 regular-season games. He's a lock for the Hall of Fame and arguably the best cornerback of his generation.
The Chiefs released Revis on Thursday, Field Yates of ESPN reports.
One of several veterans cut loose by the Jets last offseason, Revis remained unsigned until early December, when the Chiefs inked him to a two-year deal. Revis appeared in five regular-season contests for the Chiefs and didn't provide the upgrade in the secondary the team was banking on, accruing 11 tackles, two pass breakups and no interceptions in those contests. With the 32-year-old on the downside of his career and guaranteed $8.8 million if he were to remain on the roster by March 19, Kansas City elected to release Revis in order to preserve some cap space. Revis' dismissal paves the way for Kendall Fuller, who the Chiefs acquired earlier this offseason in a trade that sent quarterback Alex Smith to Washington, to open the upcoming season in a starting role.
Revis will be active for Sunday's game against the Jets in what will mark his Chiefs debut, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.
After failing to find a home in free agency this offseason, Revis signed with Kansas City on Nov. 22, but sat out last week's loss to the Bills while he was still getting his conditioning in order. Now that he's had an opportunity to get more practice time under his belt, Revis will suit up for the first time in 2017 against one of his former teams. Though he may not start in the contest, Revis is expected to be a fixture in the Chiefs' cornerback rotation.
Revis is in line to be inactive for Sunday's game against the Bills, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
The Chiefs just signed Revis on Wednesday, which didn't afford him enough time to prepare for the Week 12 matchup. The 32-year-old was brought in to reinvigorate the Chiefs' 28th-ranked pass defense, but after a down season with the Jets in 2016, it's unclear how much assistance he'll provide on that front. Regardless, Revis' absence this week likely means that Steven Nelson will see most of the snaps at cornerback opposite Marcus Peters.
Revis agreed to terms Wednesday on a contract with the Chiefs, Adam Caplan of SiriusXM Radio reports.
With the obvious exception of Marcus Peters, the Chiefs haven't gotten much from their cornerbacks this season. The 32-year-old Revis won't necessarily provide a solution, but there's little harm in the Chiefs taking a look at him as the team tries to end its losing skid. If Revis proves that the conditioning issues he endured in 2016 with the Jets are behind him, he could push Phillip Gaines for the starting right cornerback job within the next few weeks. There's also potential use for him as a backup safety or in packages that feature a large number of defensive backs.
Revis is hoping to continue his playing career in 2017, Alex Butler of United Press International reports.
Revis -- who'll turn 32 in July -- was cut by the Jets in February following one of the worst seasons of his career. He's been training in Florida this offseason and said he's willing to move to safety if need be. However, ESPN's Rich Cimini reported in May that a group of NFL officials said the consensus is that there's no market for the veteran cornerback due to his significant decline in 2016 and "whispers about his commitment." On the bright side for Revis, he's still guaranteed $6 million from the Jets this season even if he doesn't play.
Revis won't face league discipline for the felony assault charges that were dropped in March, ESPN's Rich Cimini reports.
Revis was arrested in February and charged for his alleged involvement in an altercation that left two men unconscious. After his March hearing, however, all charges against Revis were dropped. Upon completing its own review, the NFL also saw no reason to punish Revis, who was released by the Jets shortly after the incident. Now a free agent, the 31-year-old can ensure prospective teams of his availability, even though his poor performance last season may be the larger concern on that front.
Revis might consider a return to New England, the Boston Herald reports.
Coming off an ugly season in which he looked nothing like his former self, Revis was involved in a February incident that initially led to four felony charges. Subsequently released by the Jets, the 31-year-old cornerback was cleared of all charges Wednesday, and he now intends to resume his career. He said he's already lost 10 pounds while working with a new trainer -- essentially acknowledging that he was overweight last season. With his value at its lowest point ever, Revis could be a low-cost replacement for Patriots CB Malcolm Butler, who's been the subject of constant trade rumors this offseason. The Steelers could also be a fit for the Pennsylvania native and former Pitt Panther, offering a competitive roster that's a bit shaky at cornerback.
Revis was cleared of all charges Wednesday for his alleged involvement in a Feb. 12 incident, Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network reports.
After taking in witness testimony, the judge dismissed the case that may have played a role in Revis' release from the Jets at the end of February. With the justice system ruling in his favor, he can now focus on free-agent visits, which are sure to be scheduled in the near future. While he was torched at times last season, the 30-year-old still notched 53 tackles (43 solo), five passes defended, and one interception in 15 contests.
The Jets opted to release Revis on Wednesday, Brian Costello of the New York Post reports.
The veteran was slated to make $15.3 million in 2017 ($6 million guaranteed), which includes a $2 million roster bonus on March 11. Given that Revis will be 32 at the start of the 2017 season, his reduced production in 2016, and a recent alleged off-the-field incident, it is not all that surprising that the Jets are opting to cut ties the cornerback.
According to Revis' attorney Robert Del Greco, the preliminary hearing regarding a recent alleged incident in Pittsburgh has been rescheduled from this Thursday to March 15, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.
The public will now have to wait a few more weeks for any word on the cornerback's four felony charges (two counts of aggravated assault, one count of robbery and one count of conspiracy: aggravated assault). The NFL will wait to address the situation until all legal matters are taken care of, which puts the veteran's status into question for the upcoming league year that officially begins on March 9. Revis is slated to make $15.3 million in 2017 ($6 million guaranteed), which includes a $2 million roster bonus due on March 11, but legal proceedings could muddy his standing with the Jets.
Revis is due in court Thursday for a preliminary hearing regarding a recent alleged incident in Pittsburgh, SI.com reports.
Among the charges, Revis is facing four felonies (two counts of aggravated assault, one count of robbery, and one count of conspiracy: aggravated assault) as well as one misdemeanor for making terroristic threats. Following the Sunday, Feb. 12 incident, he turned himself into authorities last Friday, after which his upcoming legal road was set in motion. The NFL doesn't weigh in on such matters until the justice system makes a determination, meaning his status with the Jets will likely be in limbo as the 2017 league year starts at 4 PM ET on March 9.
Revis has been charged with four first-degree felonies and one misdemeanor in the wake of a recent off-field incident in Pittsburgh, ESPN's Rich Cimini reports.
Following an investigation into Revis' alleged role in an incident over the weekend, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has brought five separate charges against the star cornerback. The charges include robbery, conspiracy, two counts of aggravated assault, and one charge of terroristic threats. According to Cimini, Revis intends to turn himself in once a warrant is issued Friday. More updates on this case will follow as more details are released.
Revis is under investigation for an alleged incident that took place early Monday morning in Pittsburgh, SNY.tv reports.
Amid conflicting eyewitness accounts, an investigation is underway to determine if criminal charges are warranted for any of the parties involved. As a result of the episode, the Jets released a statement. "We've spoken to Darrelle. We're aware of the incident. We'll have no further comment." The organization was already weighing whether to cut bait with Revis, who is due a $2 million roster bonus on March 11 and $15.3 million for the 2017 campaign. Now with a potential legal matter pending, his seat may have grown hotter after the worst season of his 10-year career.
Revis will likely be required to take a pay cut in order to remain with the Jets next season, ESPN's Rich Cimini reports.
Revis is currently slated to earn $15.3 million in 2017, with the most pressing matter being a $2 million roster bonus due March 11. After the 31-year-old's play significantly declined this past season, that evaluation won't fly with the Jets, who are expected to release Revis if he doesn't agree to a pay cut prior to then. In cutting Revis, New York would open $9.3 million to reinvest this offseason, so finding a resolution to the former All-Pro's situation is of high importance. Although the Jets are expected to add to their cornerback ranks, regardless of Revis' decision, keeping him around at the right cap figure may be something the team remains open to.
Revis had a season-high nine tackles during Sunday's win over the Browns.
While a few teams have gotten comfortable throwing at Revis, he hasn't been a big tackler, as his total Sunday was more than he had in his previous three games combined. He doesn't get a high number of interceptions, nor tackles, which makes him a fairly weak fantasy IDP option.
The Jets have listed Revis (hamstring) as active for Monday's game against the Jets.
Revis was absent from Week 5's loss to the Steelers and was limited at practice throughout the week. He was ultimately deemed questionable for Monday's contest but has since been ruled active. He figures to take on his usual workload in this contest.
Revis (hamstring) is questionable for Monday's matchup with Arizona, Rich Cimini of ESPN reports.
Revis was limited in each of the Jets' practices this week. He isn't expected to miss a second straight game, but if he does then look for Juston Burris to draw the spot start.
Revis (hamstring) was again limited in practice Friday, ESPN reports.
Revis was limited Thursday as well, but appears to be trending in the right direction. The Jets' injury report on Saturday will likely help clarify his status.
Revis (hamstring) did not participate in Thursday's practice, Connor Hughes of NJ.com reports.
Revis is still fighting off a hamstring injury that he suffered in the loss to the Seahawks and held him out of the Jets' most recent loss to Pittsburgh. Revis' status will ultimately be determined based on how much additional work he is able to put in the next couple of days, but consider the cornerback questionable at this point.