24/7: Road to the Winter Classic: Best moments from Episode 1
A recap of some of the great moments from Episode 1 of HBO's 24/7 featuring the Maple Leafs and Red Wings.
There wasn’t a ton of really compelling moments coming out of the first episode of HBO’s “24/7 Red Wings/Maple Leafs: Road to the NHL Winter Classic,” but there were a few memorable scenes. THose little moments brought a lot of color to an otherwise very good first episode.
- There was Dion Phaneuf’s closet early in the show, which had approximately a billion pairs of shoes and hundreds of bowties. That might be an exaggeration, but it doesn’t feel like it.
"If you have to wear a suit to work, why not have fun with it?" said Phaneuf’s wife, actress Elisha Cuthbert. "And he definitely has fun with it." Yes he does.
Here's what he looked like driving to work:
Nice to see the Leafs have found a use for Phaneuf, having him chauffeur his teammates to the rink. pic.twitter.com/LKpvJl7svQ— Bonk's Mullet (@BonksMullet) December 15, 2013
- Did you know that Phil Kessel is also a prolific goal scorer in bubble hockey? Teammate James van Riemsdyk learned that the hard way. Kessel informed his linemate that “You only get so many chances in this game.” Spoken like a true bubble hockey legend.
- Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle had his 24/7 moment as well. The ol’ coach was attempting to make some toast. That’s it… just make some toast. Unfortunately for Carlyle, the toaster had other ideas.
“I got a toast stuck in the toaster.” That pretty much sums up the Maple Leafs’ last few weeks I think.
With the assistance of a Maple Leafs staffer, Carlyle eventually got his toast freed.
- Jimmy Howard is like most goalies. He has his own little quirks. He likes to visualize the game by closing his eyes and making some movements with his hands. It could be goaltending or he could be the world’s greatest air-drummer. So quick.
- Phaneuf had a bit of an uncomfortable moment with the 24/7 crew. After learning he had been suspended two games for a boarding incident against the Boston Bruins, he was met by 24/7 camera's in the locker room. When asked how he felt about the suspension, "How do you think I feel?" he replied, followed by a lengthy death stare.
- One of the better in-game moments came when Joffrey Lupul had some unkind words during a scrap with Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov. It showed some of the frustration that can crop up in a game and what can lead to a couple of players dropping the gloves. Lupul was none too pleased with what Voynov was doing with his stick. WARNING: Strong language in this video and definitely not safe for work.
As always, 24/7 is beautifully shot and there are some great moments. This edition didn’t have a ton of action, but it was still compelling. Still plenty more to come, which means plenty to look forward to.
What a good boy!
The puck didn't go in the net but the skater did!
Another sign that Houston is a potential destination for an NHL relocation
The two teams combined for 111 penalty minutes and five ejections
The veteran Minnesota goaltender has recorded three consecutive shutouts
The historic start for the NHL's newest team has come largely from unprecedented balance in...