Bruins, NHL to donate $250,000 for victims of Boston bombings
The Boston Bruins, NHL, NHLPA and TD Garden will donate $250,000 to Boston Marathon bombings relief along with numerous other initiatives.
The Boston Bruins, along with the NHL, NHLPA and TD Garden, announced on Wednesday that they will take on multiple initiatives to benefit those affected by the recent bombings at the Boston Marathon, including a donation of $250,000.
Specifically, Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is going to donate $100,000 on behalf of the franchise and its players. The NHL, NHLPA and TD Garden will each donate $50,000 to the cause. The money will go toward helping the families most affected by the tragedy.
"Our family has been touched by the heroic moments of so many individuals and the strength and resiliency of this community to stand together in solidarity in support of those who were injured and those who lost their lives in this unimaginable tragedy," Jacobs said. "On behalf of our entire family, we pledge our unwavering support to this community as the process of healing begins."
In addition to the monetary donations, the Bruins and the staff are donating 80 tickets to go to the first responders at the two bomb sites, the true heroes in a situation like this.
The Bruins had been scheduled to play on Monday night but the game against the Ottawa Senators was postponed because of the bombings. However, the Bruins are going to return to action on Wednesday night at TD Garden against the Buffalo Sabres in what should be a very emotional setting.
Not only the Bruins but the Sabres as well will be sporting Boston Strong decals on the sides of their helmets. Photo via Bruins Instagram.
That's just some of what will be on display Wednesday night in the Garden.
Prior to the national anthem, a 'Boston Strong' themed video will be played on the Garden HDX followed by a moment of silence to honor the victims and the first responders.
The national anthem will feature TD Garden legend Rene Rancourt and the Boston Fire Department Honor Guard and the Bruins organization will encourage all fans to join in the singing of the Star-Spangled Banner.
The Boston Bruins Foundation and 50/50 raffle will be accepting donations throughout the various concourses tonight, which will be donated to One Fund Boston.
There will also be a special "8-Spoked-Salute" honoring the first responders during the second intermission. The “8-Spoked-Salute” takes place at select Bruins home games throughout the season and traditionally honors men and women of the armed forces and their contributions and service to our country.
Last but not least Brad Marchand is going to get in on the giving personally. He is offering up his suite at TD Garden in a raffle for the first playoff game. Proceeds from the raffle will go to the family of Martin Richard, the 8-year-old boy who died in the bombings. Pictures were released of him earlier this week smiling in a Bruins jersey at a game.
"Our whole team saw the photos of Martin at our game from last Thursday and learned that he and his family are big fans of ours," said Marchand. "This is just one small gesture which I hope can help the Richard family during this incredibly sad time for them. What they are going through is unimaginable and we will try to assist them in any way we can."
What tremendous actions from the Bruins and the NHL. Some will say that this is expected of a team in a city affected by tragedy, but the Bruins are going the extra mile and doing what they can. Jacobs in particular has been criticized over the years but there is no denying the charitible efforts being shown by his organization in a time of need.
For more Boston Marathon coverage, click here
Kudos to the Bruins.
More from Eye on Hockey
Postponed Sens-B's game pushed to April 28
Fans show support across league, Yandle with Pray for Boston skates
Bruins President Cam Neely's statement on bombings
Bergeron likely to play Wed., Marchand Close
David Kelly has nailed 43 of his last 54 NHL picks and just released a play for Sunday's m...
A look at 10 veterans who figure to be on the market as Monday's deadline draws near
SportsLine's Mike McClure, a DFS pro with more than $1M in winnings, gives optimal lineup...
Pittsburgh finds itself a new third-line center as it looks to make a third straight run at...
The All-Star is one of the biggest names in the rumor mill, and reports say a move is on the...
The 38-year-old Luongo has been a longtime Parkland resident and is a father of two