NHL Daily Fix: Isles owe county; Bolts not happy with realignment
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action. Here's what's going on Sunday: Nassau County wants what it is owed from the Islanders, the Lightning aren't in love with realignment and a real kick save.
The NHL Daily Fix is your morning wakeup call, with news and notes for the day's hockey action.
• The Islanders won't be in the Nassau Coliseum much longer, but that doesn't mean they can't skip out on the rent. The team reportedly owes the county $3.8 million in unpaid fees going back to 2011, including rent. Eek. (Newsday)
• The latest crazy idea from Kevin-Paul Dupont to increase scoring in the NHL? Make a defending team in the zone keep a player in the neutral zone, so it's 5-on-5 (with the goalie). At some point, you're changing the game. Dupont's ideas crossed that line too long ago. (Boston Globe)
• PETA got really angry with the Buffalo Sabres for handing out a fur coat with the team logo to the player of the game. They sent a letter demanding the Sabres find a new trinket. Only problem is the coat they're using is faux fur. Stand down, PETA. (SI)
• Somewhat predictably, the Tampa Bay Lightning aren't happy with the new realignment plan because like the old plan, it leaves them really far from their division rivals sans the Panthers. I don't see how you get over this issue. (TampaBay.com)
• Here is Don Cherry sitting in his ivory tower on Saturday night on the CBC.
Chicago at Detroit (12:30 ET, NBC)
St. Louis at Dallas (3 ET, NHL Network)
Ottawa at N.Y. Islanders (3 ET)
Colorado at Columbus (3 ET)
Carolina at Florida (6 ET)
Montreal at Boston (7:30 ET, NBC Sports Net)
Buffalo at N.Y. Rangers (7:30 ET)
Vancouver at Calgary (8 ET)
Edmonton at Minnesota (8 ET)
The former Boston Bruin was the first black player to play in the NHL
Inclement weather led to the Charlotte Checkers and Bridgeport Sound Tigers playing in front...
The NHL chose the Detroit rocker as its All-Star Game entertainment and not everyone is th...
NHL fans from all over seem to agree on one thing: Hating Kid Rock
The team tweeted on Monday that Shaw would be re-evaluated in 7-10 days
The Montreal forward was hospitalized after taking a Zdeno Chara slap shot to the head