VIDEO: Minor-league hockey brawl leads to nine ejections, insanity
A lengthy brawl in single-A Federal Hockey League ended with 152 minutes in penalties, nine ejections and even the coaches got into it.
Oh, the deep, deep minor hockey leagues of North America, the craziness you bring. A Federal Hockey League game Saturday night between the Danville Dashers and Watertown Privateers devolved into a lengthy brawl between the two sides. It got so bad that the team’s coaches started going at it between the benches in a minor skirmish.
It all started with a big hit in the corner in the middle of the third period and soon fights were breaking out all over the ice. The end result was 152 in penalty minutes and a 17-minute video of this whole thing exploding.
Among the highlights in the video:
- The camera man can’t figure out what to look at, which only adds to the insanity of this whole thing. There’s just too much for one camera to follow, but he gives it a shot.
- The play-by-play guy does his best Jim Ross of WWE fame in calling this thing.
- The Danville goalie jumped into pretty much every scrum on the ice.
- Around the 5:55 mark of the video, the coaches start shoving each other between the benches and that creates a whole other scrap.
- The Watertown players hyping the crowd from the penalty box.
- The linesman’s jersey sleeve covered in someone else’s blood. The play-by-play man asked the camera person to get a shot of it and when he does, the announcer says, “Yeah, there we go!”
- At around 10:30, Danville's Jamie Zaleski asks the play-by-play man to say hello to his mother for him. Little did Zaleski know, the play-by-play man already did it earlier in the broadcast.
- The referees take forever to figure out what to do.
Nine players were ejected from the game. You can see the box score here.
Watertown finished the game with only one player remaining on their bench as they only had 13 to start. They scored three more times and won 6-2. Bless you, minor league hockey.
The FHL, by the way, is a four-team league, so Watertown and Danville have already played each other nine times. They will play each other nine more times this season. Oh, that should be fun.
(h/t Puck Daddy)
Vladislav Yeryomenko was the Teddy Bear Toss goal scorer for the Calgary Hitmen
The Golden Knights are finally getting their No. 1 goalie back after a 25-game absence
Washington has won four straight, and the Kings are also on a tear right behind the Lightn...
The NHL says it's only interested in expanding to Seattle, but here's a look at all the moving...
The NHL says it is only looking toward Seattle for the next expansion team
The 33-year-old defenseman hopes to help find a cure for serious head injuries in athletes