Hello my fellow sport fans, it's Shanna McCarriston again. Im hoping you guys aren't sick of me yet because I'll be giving you all the sports news here until the Olympics are over.
Last night, Caeleb Dressel went for his first individual gold, and you have to keep reading to see how he did. (Spoiler alert: He does very well)
As always though, we have more to discuss than just the Olympics. We have predictions for the NBA Draft, which is happening tonight. We'll also look at MLB trade rumors as the trade deadline approaches.
Let's get to it.
📰 What you need to know
1. Caeleb Dressel takes gold in 100-meter freestyle final 🏅
Caeleb Dressel won his first individual gold last night, winning the 100-meter men's freestyle final, that ended in thrilling fashion. He finished in 47.02 seconds, which was just .06 of a second faster than Australia's Kyle Chalmers.
47.02 seconds, by the way, is a new Olympic record. Not bad for the next American swimming superstar.
Here are the results from the event:
- Gold: Caeleb Dressel, USA
- Silver: Kyle Chalmers, Australia
- Bronze: Kliment Kolesnikov, Russia
After he won, Dressel was able to talk to his family, who were all emotional over his first individual gold medal. Dressel also got emotional, as his family told him how proud they were of him and how much they loved him. It was a very sweet moment that came after well-deserved win.
2. The NBA Draft is here 🏀
The NBA Draft is tonight at 8 p.m. ET, which means we have one last opportunity to talk mock drafts, so yes, we are going to seize the opportunity.
- Cade Cunningham: Pistons
- Jalen Green: Rockets
- Evan Mobley: Cavaliers
- Jalen Suggs: Raptors
- Scottie Barnes: Magic
- James Bouknight: Thunder
- Jonathan Kuminga: Warriors
- Moses Moody: Magic
- Franz Wagner: Kings
- Josh Giddey: Grizzlies
For the complete two-round projections for all 60 picks, click here.
Point guard Cade Cunningham out of Oklahoma State is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick and leads the CBS Sports Top 10 NBA Draft Prospect Rankings.
CBS Sports also did a player comparisons for the top 10 prospects and Cunningham is comparable to Luka Doncic. Cunningham has admitted he sees the similarities. They are nearly identical in size and their offensive skills are also similar.
- Cunningham, compared to Doncic
- Evan Mobley, compared to Anthony Davis
- Jalen Green, compared to Clyde Drexler
- Jalen Suggs, compared to Gary Payton
- Scottie Barnes, compared to Draymond Green
- Jonathan Kuminga, compared to DeMar DeRozen
- James Bouknight, compared to Jamal Murray
- Moses Moody, compared to Khris Middleton
- Josh Giddey, compared to Reggie Theus
- Alperen Sengun, compared to DeMarcus Cousins
3. Thursday's Olympic schedule🏅
Last night we watched an exciting swimming event as Caleb Dressel went for his first individual gold. Today we have even more swimming, as well as track and field heats getting underway, the women's gymnastics individual all-around final and more.
Here's are the events to look out for today:
- Women's gymnastics individual all-around final - 6:40 a.m.
- Track and field heats - Women's 800 meters, Men's 400-meter hurdles, Women's 100 meters - 8:50 p.m.
- Men's golf round two - 6:30 p.m.
- Swimming finals - Women's 200m breaststroke, Men's 200m backstroke, Women's 100m freestyle, Men's 200m individual medley - 9:30 p.m.
4. Marte and Gallo on the move in MLB ⚾
Some major MLB trades happened yesterday, with the Texas Rangers trading All-Star outfielder Joey Gallo to the New York Yankees and the Oakland Athletics and Miami Marlins agreed on a trade that sends outfielder Starling Marte and enough cash to cover his remaining salary to Oakland.
Here's a look at the Gallo trade:
- Rangers trade Gallo to the Yankees
- Left-handed reliever John King is also headed to the Yankees in the deal
- A package of at least five prospects is headed back to the Rangers
- Among prospects are: Second baseman Trevor Hauver, second baseman/shortstop Ezequiel Duran, centerfielder Everson Pereira, and pitchers Randy Vasquez and Glen Otto
The deal is pending physicals for all involved players, which will delay the official announcement.
The 27-year-old Gallo is hitting .223/.379/.490 (139 OPS+) with six doubles, a triple, 25 homers, 55 RBI, 57 runs, six stolen bases and 4.1 WAR this season.
Here's a look at the Marte trade:
- A's are sending left-hander Jesús Luzardo back to Miami
- Marte is an impending free agent
- Marlins reportedly offered Marte an extension worth near $50 million over three or four years, which he declined
The deal will likely cut the playing time of Stephen Piscotty and Seth Brown of the A's, who have not played as well as Marte this season. In 63 games, Marte has a .306/.407/.453 slash line (136 OPS+)
📝 Odds & Ends
- Aaron Rodgers opens up about his issues with the Packers
- 76ers reportedly getting more likely to deal Ben Simmons, with the Heat, Raptors, Wizards as the top landing spots
- Big 12 commissioner alleges ESPN conspired with SEC, AAC to lure teams from conference
📺 What to watch tonight
⚾Yankees vs. Rays, 1:10 p.m. | TB +125 | TV: MLB.TV
⚾ Rockies vs. Padres, 10:10 p.m. | SD -280 | TV: MLB.TV
Best thing I saw on the internet:
Caleeb Dressel took gold in the 100-meter men's freestyle final and his family's reaction as he was racing summed up just about every emotion. His wife was screaming and jumping up and down as the close race finished, his mom was struggling to watch and afterwards they were crying, screaming and hugging. It was a very sweet moment and even better, Dressel got to speak to his family just moments after securing the gold.