On the same day thein the second half of May, La Liga clubs have been reporting for COVID-19 testing and training sessions at their club facilities. With play suspended since March and Spain being one of the hardest hit countries, there is now light at the end of the tunnel with La Liga aiming for a return in mid June.
Spain's prime minister Pedro Sanchez said in a press conference last week that La Liga players could resume individual training this week, going in the complete opposite direction of France where sporting events were banned until September. La Liga stars like Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid reported to their clubs on Wednesday morning while using masks to cover their mouths, sporting gloves and practicing social distancing.
Barca players arrived at Ciutat Esportiva for medical tests with Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez leading the way with coach Quique Setien. Here's a video of their arrival:
🎥 The players were back at the Ciutat Esportiva today for medical tests.— FC Barcelona (from 🏠) (@FCBarcelona) May 6, 2020
Over in the Spanish capital, it was the same for Real Madrid's stars as they reported, with Ramos keeping his distance from coach Zinedine Zidane, while others like Marcelo, Gareth Bale and Eden Hazard appeared.
Atletico Madrid and various other clubs had their players in for tests as well as we know await the results. In Germany, there were 1,700 tests run on the first and second division clubs with 10 coming back positive.
The plan now for La Liga is to have individual training for two weeks before full-team training sessions can begin, with games potentially coming two weeks after that. The games would be played without fans.
The league is already feeling the economic impact but the damage is nowhere near what it would be if play doesn't resume. La Liga president Javier Tebas said last month that the clubs stood to lose €1 billion if the season were to be canceled, while the estimated financial loss of playing out the season without fans being €300 million.