Marcus Rashford's campaign to feed hungry children has taken England by storm. And about 1.3 million kids in the country will be able to claim free school meal vouchers during the summer as a result of the Manchester United star's urging.
The U.K. government had previously said it would not award free school meal vouchers during the summer break. But Rashford wrote a letter to government officials asking them to reconsider. That letter went viral on social media and the government reversed course after feeling public pressure. The government then announced a six-week voucher for eligible children.
Rashford took to Twitter after the announcement to express how he felt:
"I don't even know what to say," Rashford wrote. "Just look at what we can do when we come together. THIS is England in 2020."
I don’t even know what to say.— Marcus Rashford (@MarcusRashford) June 16, 2020
Just look at what we can do when we come together, THIS is England in 2020.
"This is another welcome U-turn from Boris Johnson," he said. "The thought of 1.3 million children going hungry this summer was unimaginable. Well done to Marcus Rashford and many others who spoke out so powerfully about this issue."
Talk about using your platform for good. As detailed by The Guardian, across areas that have seen funding for food rejected, nearly 500,000 children last year were at risk of going hungry when they weren't in school, while 4.1 million children in the country live in poverty.