Getty Images

OGC Nice's Allianz Riviera will house no fans in the south stand for at least the next four Ligue 1 matches after the chaos which saw last Sunday's clash with Olympique de Marseille fail to resume after ugly scenes between players, staff, and spectators.

While the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) governing body will only meet on Wednesday at their weekly disciplinary committee hearing to discuss possible punishment(s), local authorities have already issued a decree that will see the problematic southern stand empty for at least a month.

Nice's games against Girondins de Bordeaux, AS Monaco, Stade Brestois 29 and Olympique Lyonnais will not see any supporters behind one of the two goals while the regional Alpes-Maritimes police have further specified that an anti-projectile net is to be installed.

Additionally, stadium bans for any individuals identified to have taken part will be dished out and the area reserved for visiting fans will be reinforced to further prevent projectile bombardment and violent attacks like last week's scenes.

Les Aiglons issued a statement on Monday which labelled the incidents as 'unacceptable' and added that the Populaire Sud supporters' group had condemned the actions of their members guilty of involvement.

However, OGCN reaffirmed their belief that Marseille players and staff played a significant role in the escalation and that OM players were not the only ones attacked as the encounter descended into carnage.

While the LFP are expected to take strong measures to punish those guilty, it is possible that no final decision is taken this week with temporary measures a possibility until every possible fact can be established before firm disciplinary action is taken.

Marseille's Dimitri Payet was struck by a bottle which was thrown by someone in the crowd and his retaliation by throwing it back into the crowd incited a near full-on brawl as home spectators stormed the field.

Stadium footage has since cast doubt on the security measures taken during the match as one hooligan got close enough to Payet to try to kick him as the game stopped after 74 minutes only to try to resume without the OM players.

Due to the circumstances, varying punishments are possible -- as is a replay or the final 16 minutes being played out at some point in the future to complete the fixture.