Premier League clubs voted unanimously to return to contact training on Wednesday, marking another big step toward matches returning next month. The clubs can now train as a group and "engage in tackling" while trying to minimize what the league says is "any unnecessary close contact." More from the league's official statement:
The Premier League's priority is the health and well being of all participants.
Strict medical protocols are in place to ensure the training ground is the safest environment possible and players and staff will continue to be tested for COVID-19 twice a week.
Stage Two of the Return to Training protocol has been agreed following consultation with clubs, players, managers, the PFA, LMA and the Government.
Discussions are ongoing as work continues towards resuming the season, when conditions allow.
This vote comes just a week after the initial widespread testing for COVID-19 resulted in six positives out of 748. Burnley did confirm assistant coach Ian Woan is one of them. Watford said three members of the club contracted the virus, including one unidentified player. Watford striker Troy Deeney said last week that he would not attend training due to the concern of contracting the virus and potentially harming the health of his infant son
The next round of testing was done on Monday and Tuesday though those results had not been released as of Wednesday morning.