One major storyline running through this past Sunday's WWE Survivor Series revolved around Vince McMahon bringing a "$100 million" egg from The Rock's new film "Red Notice" to Barclays Center only for the egg to be stolen. On Monday night's edition of Raw, the mystery of the stolen egg was resolved.
Austin Theory was revealed to be the man who stole the egg. McMahon, ever unpredictable, rewarded Theory with a shot at Big E and the WWE championship in the main event.
Big E vs. Theory was one of four championship matches held throughout the night, with both the women's tag team titles and the 24/7 title (twice) changing hands.
CBS Sports was with you all night with recaps and highlights of all the action from Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Austin Theory rewarded with WWE title shot after egg theft
Vince McMahon opened the show with Sonya Deville and Adam Pearce, saying they'd be fired if the Cleopatra Egg was not found. He also said that anyone who finds and returns the egg will receive a shot at Big E's WWE championship. This led to chaos backstage as the roster dug through the locker room in an attempt to find the egg. Sami Zayn told McMahon he knew who had the egg but that the thief had not yet arrived. The hunt continued through the show. Zayn finally revealed that it was Austin Theory, who explained he just wanted to take a selfie with the egg but got scared by security. McMahon asked to see the selfie, said Theory reminded him of himself and said he'd drop the charges while awarding Theory the title shot.
WWE Championship – Big E (c) def. Austin Theory via pinfall to retain the title. Seth Rollins was at ringside to watch the action. Early in the match, Kevin Owens' music hit and he also made his way to ringside, arguing with Rollins that he was just there because it is "a good place to watch the match." As the referee was distracted, Rollins attacked Big E's knee, which had been injured by Roman Reigns at Survivor Series. Theory hit Big E with a rolling blockbuster but was distracted by Rollins and Owens arguing at ringside after Owens threw Rollins into the ring for a brief moment. That allowed Big E to hit the Big Ending for the win before he attacked Rollins and Owens at ringside, hitting Rollins with a Big Ending before the show went off the air.
The Cleopatra Egg storyline was embarrassing at Survivor Series and even worse on Raw. That said, world title defenses on television are always a welcome thing. From a purely wrestling-based perspective, Theory has a lot of upside and held his own in the biggest match of his career. WWE is doing a good job of presenting Big E with a host of issues and name contenders, which has always been a good thing, especially with a babyface champion. Still, that egg storyline was terrible. Grade: C
What else happened on WWE Raw?
- Riddle def. Dolph Ziggler via pinfall after hitting an RKO. Riddle was dressed like Randy Orton, misinterpreting "be more like me." After the win, Orton celebrated with Riddle by hitting Bro Derek on Robert Roode.
- Becky Lynch cut an in-ring promo in which she bragged about her win over Charlotte Flair at Survivor Series and ran down No. 1 contender Liv Morgan, claiming she had a death grip on the Raw women's championship. Lynch later taunted Morgan backstage only to have Morgan punch her in the face.
- Bianca Belair def. Tamina via pinfall after hitting the K.O.D. After the match, Doudrop attacked Belair, hitting her with the seated crossbody before walking off arm-in-arm with Tamina and Natalya.
- Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor did not take place after Rollins attacked Balor during Balor's entrance, eventually throwing him into the ring steps. Before the match, Rollins bragged about being the sole survivor at Survivor Series. Of note, a fan (not a plant) jumped the barricade and attacked Rollins as he was leaving up the entrance ramp. Rollins appeared to be fine after the situation.
- AJ Styles & Omos def. The Street Profits via disqualification after the Profits sprayed both opponents with a fire extinguisher.
- Women's Tag Team Championship – Carmella & Queen Zelina def. Nikki A.S.H. & Rhea Ripley (c) via pinfall to win the titles. Carmella hit Ripley with a kick outside the ring, sending her face-first into the ring post to leave Nikki in a two-on-one where she was quickly finished.
- 24/7 Championship – Shelton Benjamin def. Reggie (c) via pinfall to win the championship.
- Dana Brooke then won the 24/7 Championship after pinning Cedric Alexander. Brooke cut a promo after her win saying she knows she now has a target on her back.
- Bobby Lashley def. The Mysterios via submission after locking Dominik Mysterio in The Hurt Lock. Despite being a two-on-one match, Lashley dominated almost the entire match.
- United States Championship – Damian Priest (c) def. Sami Zayn via pinfall to retain the title. Zayn accepted Priest's open challenge for the title after Apollo Crews turned it down, saying he deserved something after not receiving the WWE title shot after finding the egg thief. Priest won with Reckoning.