With WrestleMania 37 set to take place this weekend, Raw's WWE championship picture took center stage as both WWE champion Bobby Lashley and challenger Drew McIntyre found themselves wrestling on Raw's go-home show prior to WrestleMania. Lashley was looking to dispatch of his second former Hurt Business member in as many weeks when he took on Cedric Alexander. In addition, McIntyre took on SmackDown's King Corbin following the latter's assault of McIntyre last week.
CBS Sports was with you all night, bringing you recaps and highlights of all the action from the ThunderDome inside Tropicana Field.
Lashley says that McIntyre's time is 'over'
Drew McIntyre started off the night and reflected on the past year as WrestleMania draws near. McIntyre said that this is going to be the "biggest fight of our lives" and he and Bobby Lashley will tear each other apart. He said his purpose was to come to WWE and become WWE champion, and he didn't have the luxury of going home. McIntyre said his mother inspired him to keep pushing forward even after being originally fired by WWE. He asked Lashley how he can "beat a man that sacrifices everything." He vowed to win back the WWE championship.
Lashley interrupted McIntyre and said that McIntyre's time is over. He said that he saw fear in McIntyre's eyes when he put him in the Hurt Lock last week, and there's nothing McIntyre can do about it. McIntyre responded by saying that the two should just fight right now, but MVP said that isn't happening. MVP said that McIntyre will ultimately lose the match, but that will happen on Saturday. McIntyre proclaimed he will "run down" Lashley and get back his WWE title. MVP told McIntyre he might not even make it to WrestleMania before King Corbin came out.
Corbin said he doesn't know why McIntyre is worried about WrestleMania because he may not make it there. He added that he plans to take down McIntyre, so there won't be a WrestleMania for him.
Drew McIntyre def. King Corbin via pinfall with a Claymore. McIntyre came out looking to dominate Corbin as he showcased his physicality throughout a large amount of the match. MVP was on commentary during the match and handed Corbin his cane to take out McIntyre. However, McIntyre was able to sidestep the cane and pick up the win. Following the match, Lashley came out and McIntyre stared him down. McIntyre pointed at the WrestleMania sign as Raw went off the air.
McIntyre had to stand tall prior to WrestleMania to give the babyface some momentum. Obviously, McIntyre wasn't losing this match, and having MVP attempt to toss Corbin his cane was a nice touch. Now the stage is set for two behemoths to do battle at WrestleMania in a match that's expected to be an absolute classic. Grade: B
What else happened on WWE Raw?
- Xavier Woods def. AJ Styles via pinfall. Kofi Kingston caused a distraction as he threw the microphone at Omos. Omos gave chase and ended up getting on the ring apron. Styles ended up getting distracted and Woods rolled him up for the victory.
- Braun Strowman def. Elias and Jaxson Ryker via pinfall with running powerslams. Before the match, Strowman said that Shane McMahon doesn't know what he's gotten himself into. Strowman said that when the steel cage door shuts, he's locked in there with a monster. At WrestleMania, Strowman vowed McMahon will leave in a body bag. McMahon came out and said that a steel cage match is "not that stupid," and he will outwit Strowman in their steel cage match. After WrestleMania, McMahon said that Strowman will feel "stupid" after he loses.
- Miz and John Morrison smeared red paint all over Bad Bunny's white Bugatti. Bad Bunny returned to his car to check on it as Miz ambushed him. Miz and Morrison then beat down Bad Bunny. Later in the show, Damian Priest and Bad Bunny challenged Miz and John Morrison to a tag team match at WrestleMania. Miz and Morrison accept the challenge.
- Shayna Baszler and Nia Jax def. Asuka and Rhea Ripley via pinfall after Baszler hit a running knee on Asuka . Baszler and Jax focused on the left leg of Ripley after she was favoring it earlier in the matchup. After Asuka was tagged back in, Ripley shoved Asuka off the top rope to the outside and slammed her on the floor before throwing her back into the ring.
- A women's tag team turmoil match was made official for WrestleManja. The teams will include Dana Brooke and Mandy Rose, Lana and Naomi, Natalya and Tamia, and The Riott Squad. The winning team will become the No. 1 contender for the WWE women's tag team titles.
- Bobby Lashley def. Cedric Alexander via submission with the Hurt Lock. Benjamin immediately jumped into the ring to try and beat down Lashley. Lashley, however, administered another Hurt Lock to Benjamin and "The Almighty" stood tall once again.
- Riddle def. Mustafa Ali via pinfall with the Bro Derek. As Riddle caught Ali, he stared right at his WrestleMania opponent, Sheamus, who was sitting ringside on commentary.