After months of coronavirus pandemic-related disruptions, the UFC is finally heading back to Las Vegas for UFC on ESPN 9 on May 30. It was made official on Wednesday with the Nevada State Athletic Commission approving UFC to host this weekend's card as well as UFC 250 on June 6 from the Apex Center just off the Las Vegas strip.
Headlining UFC on ESPN 9 is a major welterweight clash between Tyron Woodley and Gilbert Burns. Woodley will be fighting for the first time since losing the UFC welterweight championship to Kamaru Usman in March 2019. Prior to that defeat, Woodley had been on a seven-fight winning streak and had established himself as one of the most elite 170-pound fighters in history.
Can't get enough UFC? Subscribe to our podcast State of Combat with Brian Campbell where we break down everything you need to know in the Octagon, including an in-depth preview of UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs. Burns with Hall of Famer 'Suga' Rashad Evans below.
Burns is currently riding a five-fight winning streak that started at lightweight before a return to welterweight last August. Since moving back to welterweight, Burns has wins over Alexey Kunchenko, Gunnar Nelson and Demian Maia. Those wins have placed him as a potential future contender for the championship in a very competitive division.
In the co-main event, a pair of heavyweight prospects hit the cage when Augusto Sakai takes on Blagoy Ivanov. They may not be household names, but both pack powerful punches. Sakai is riding a five-fight win streak with four stoppages while Ivanov is 2-2 since joining UFC with all four fights going the distance. Let's take a look at the rest of the card.
- Tyron Woodley -170 vs. Gilbert Burns +145 -- Welterweight
- Augusto Sakai -110 vs. Blagoy Ivanov -110 -- Heavyweight
- Billy Quarantillo -135 vs. Spike Carlyle +115 -- 150-pound catchweight
- Roosevelt Roberts -330 vs. Brok Weaver +260 -- Lightweight
- Mackenzie Dern -410 vs. Hannah Cifers +320 -- Women's strawweight
- Antonina Shevchenko -135 vs. Katlyn Chookagian +115 -- Women's flyweight
- Daniel Rodriguez -330 vs. Gabriel Green +260 -- Middleweight
- Jamahal Hill -125 vs. Klidson Abreu +105 -- Light heavyweight
- Tim Elliott -170 vs. Brandon Rovyal +145 -- Flyweight
- Casey Kenney -300 vs. Louis Smolka +240 -- Bantamweight
- Chris Gutiérrez -110 vs. Vince Morales -110 -- Bantamweight
UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs. Burns info
- Date: May 30
- Location: UFC Apex Center, Las Vegas
- Main event: Gilbert Burns vs. Tyron Woodley
- Start time: Prelims at 6 p.m. ET, main card at 9 p.m. ET
- How to watch: ESPN+
UFC Fight Night countdown
- Complete preview and prediction
- Three undercard fights you need to watch
- Campbell: Why Woodley stands at a career crossroads ahead of facing Burns
Who will win Burns vs. Woodley, and how exactly does each fight end? Visit SportsLine now to get detailed picks on every fight on the UFC Fight Night card on May 30, all from the accomplished expert who's up almost $20,000 on MMA bets.