MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for April 26
Saturday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, April 36 (click here for today's scores) ...
- Our MLB insider reports that Jeong Choi, a 27-year-old third baseman who's known as "the David Wright of Korea," hopes to make the leap to MLB prior to the 2015 season. Elsewhere, Heyman tweets that veteran RHP Freddy Garcia will make $50,000 per month pitching for the EDA Rhinos is Taiwan. Garcia is still a candidate to land an MLB job at some point.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Chad Tracy : The veteran infielder has opted to retire. (Chris Cotillo, MLB Daily Dish)
- Brewers: SS Jean Segura was forced from Saturday's game after being struck in the face by a Ryan Braun practice swing. Speaking of Braun, he later left the game with an intercostal strain and is day-to-day. At present, each is likely to avoid the DL.
- Dodgers: SS Hanley Ramirez exited Saturday night's game after injuring the same thumb that delayed the start of his 2013 season by more than a month. However, X-rays were negative, and he's day-to-day with a bruise ... LHP Clayton Kershaw , after a strong minor-league rehab start, could be poised to return to the active roster next week.
- Marlins: 2B Rafael Furcal was forced to leave a recent minor-league rehab game because of groin tightness. He's hoping to resume playing on Sunday. (Manny Navarro via Twitter)
- Nationals: OF Bryce Harper sat out Saturday's game because of a swollen and sore thumb.
- Orioles: Will place 1B Chris Davis on the DL because of a strained oblique.
- Rangers: LHP Derek Holland (knee) was able to throw live BP for the first time since his injury. (Jeff Wilson via Twitter)
- Reds: Have placed C Devin Mesoraco on the DL with a strained left hamstring ... CL Aroldis Chapman , who's been sidelined since being struck in the face by a liner in late spring training, threw live BP for the second time on Sunday. Chapman says he needs one additional BP session before he's ready to begin a minor-league rehab assignment. (Mark Sheldon, MLB.com)
- Tigers: RHP Anibal Sanchez exited his start because of a blister. He was later placed on the 15-day DL with a lacerated middle finger on his throwing hand.
- Yankees: RHP prospect Jose Campos underwent Tommy John surgery on Friday. (Danny Knobler via Twitter)
Our Latest Stories
Holliday will be looking for an opportunity to keep playing after his option is declined
Maris is still the all-time American League home-run king
Rodon fanned the first seven batters of the game, tying the AL record
The Rangers will officially be the No. 1 seed in the postseason
The Marlins have endured tragedy and now have to focus on the future
Let's talk individual awards at the team level as the 2016 regular season draws to a close