Dana White: Trump '100 percent' interested in attending Mayweather-McGregor
UFC Dana White boss believes Trump will ultimately decline due to security issues
With an opportunity to challenge boxing's record for pay-per-view buys, the Aug. 26 superfight between retired champion Floyd Mayweather and UFC champion Conor McGregor has all the makings to be the hottest ticket in combat sports history.
The demand for the event is so high that even President Donald Trump has reached out to UFC president Dana White to relay the message that the leader of the free world is "100 percent" interested in attending the fight.
But as far as that taking place, White has his doubts.
"They called me yesterday and I don't think they're going to come," White told media members Wednesday in Toronto during the second leg of a four-city international press tour.
"He feels like he'll ruin events. Like he'll ruin the event if he shows up. Secret service is going to have to go through the place. They'll have to shut down streets and create crazy traffic."
Trump is no stranger to combat sports. Along with being a member of the WWE Hall of Fame, the longtime casino owner has hosted and promoted major events in both boxing and mixed martial arts.
White told reporters last November that Trump, just days before winning the presidential election, was strongly considering attending UFC 205 in New York, which took place just days later. He ultimately declined.
Trump was also in attendance at Madison Square Garden in 2014 when Gennady Golovkin defeated Daniel Geale and took a picture with the middleweight champion in the locker room beforehand.
Should Trump ultimately decide at the last minute to attend Mayweather-McGregor, he has an open invitation from White, who spoke on his behalf at last year's Republican National Convention.
"He can have 10 tickets if he wants," White said.
Khan is unwilling to sign on for All-England showdown with Brook unless it comes at welter...
It was one of Broner's better performances in recent memory
The Irishman continued his dominant run on Saturday night in home country
The Englishman won his first fight since losing to Canelo Alvarez in 2016
By recommendation of Sylvester Stallone, Trump said he's considering a 'full pardon' for J...
Broner returns to the ring in Brooklyn on Saturday for an important bout to his career