Update: Michigan State police have requested arrest warrants from the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office for the three still-unnamed players involved in the sexual assault allegations. In addition to being suspended from all team activities, the three have also been removed from student housing. The Spartans suspended Curtis Blackwell, the program’s recruiting director, earlier this week in connection with this incident.

Michigan State is also holding a Title IX investigation and has hired an outside law firm to ensure the football staff followed all proper procedures in reporting and handling this incident.

The following statement was released by MSU athletic director Mark Hollis:

“The core values of MSU Athletics are clear, consistently communicated and non-negotiable. Among them are respect for self and others, accountability for actions and choices, and integrity. Sexual assault is unacceptable, and members of MSU Athletics who fail to uphold our standards for creating a culture that is safe, supportive, and responsive to those affected by it will be held accountable. My expectation of all members of the department is full and complete cooperation with all investigations.

We have a strong athletics program at MSU, one based on values, traditions, and an understanding that as Spartans we are part of something bigger. Our promise to current and future student-athletes and to the entire Spartan community is to take the steps necessary, based on the facts determined through thorough review, to run this program according to the highest values and standards.” 

Original story from Feb. 9: 

Michigan State has suspended three student-athletes linked to the football program while the school investigates sexual assault allegations.

No criminal charges have been filed, but the school said it is reviewing both the allegations and the response of a staff member following a sexual assault complaint made in late January.

“Sexual assault is unacceptable, and members of MSU Athletics who fail to uphold our standards for creating a culture that is safe, supportive, and responsive to those affected by it will be held accountable,” athletic director Mark Hollis said in a statement on Thursday. “My expectation of all members of the department is full and complete cooperation with all investigations.”

The school has not released the name of the players suspended or the staff members involved.