East Carolina @ Houston
Current Records: East Carolina 11-6; Houston 16-2
What to Know
After a two-game homestand, the East Carolina Pirates will be on the road. East Carolina and the #10 Houston Cougars will face off in an American Athletic battle at 6 p.m. ET Saturday at Fertitta Center. The Pirates earned an 82-73 win in their most recent contest against Houston in February of last year.
East Carolina entered their matchup against the UCF Knights on Tuesday without any home losses -- but there's a first time for everything. East Carolina came up short against UCF, falling 92-85. A silver lining for East Carolina was the play of guard Tristen Newton, who shot 5-for-10 from beyond the arc and finished with 27 points and five boards.
Meanwhile, while not quite a landslide, the game between the Cougars and the South Florida Bulls on Tuesday was still a pretty decisive one as Houston wrapped it up with a 74-55 win at home. Four players on Houston scored in the double digits: guard Kyler Edwards (23), forward Fabian White Jr. (16), forward Josh Carlton (15), and guard Taze Moore (13). Fabian White Jr.'s performance made up for a slower matchup against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane on Saturday.
East Carolina have to know they'll be fighting an uphill battle given the 19.50 point spread they are up against. The odds have been favorable for them against the spread on the road this season, even if it's been tough sledding overall. They are 2-0 ATS in away games but only 10-7 all in all.
Houston's victory lifted them to 16-2 while East Carolina's loss dropped them down to 11-6. On Tuesday Houston relied heavily on Kyler Edwards, who shot 6-for-11 from downtown and finished with 23 points and seven rebounds. It will be up to East Carolina's defense to limit his damage.
How To Watch
- When: Saturday at 6 p.m. ET
- Where: Fertitta Center -- Houston, Texas
- TV: ESPN2
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $22.99
The Cougars are a big 19.5-point favorite against the Pirates, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 19.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Houston have won eight out of their last nine games against East Carolina.
- Feb 03, 2021 - East Carolina 82 vs. Houston 73
- Jan 29, 2020 - Houston 69 vs. East Carolina 59
- Feb 27, 2019 - Houston 99 vs. East Carolina 65
- Jan 23, 2019 - Houston 94 vs. East Carolina 50
- Feb 25, 2018 - Houston 109 vs. East Carolina 58
- Jan 14, 2018 - Houston 65 vs. East Carolina 49
- Mar 05, 2017 - Houston 73 vs. East Carolina 51
- Jan 11, 2017 - Houston 74 vs. East Carolina 58
- Jan 30, 2016 - Houston 97 vs. East Carolina 93