Ohio State @ Penn State
Current Records: Ohio State 5-2; Penn State 4-3
What to Know
The Ohio State Buckeyes won both of their matches against the Penn State Nittany Lions last season (83-79 and 92-82) and are aiming for the same result Sunday. OSU and Penn State will face off in a Big Ten battle at 7:30 p.m. ET at Bryce Jordan Center. The Buckeyes will be strutting in after a victory while Penn State will be stumbling in from a defeat.
OSU didn't have too much breathing room in their matchup with the Duke Blue Devils last Tuesday, but they still walked away with a 71-66 win. OSU relied on the efforts of forward E.J. Liddell, who posted a double-double on 14 points and 14 rebounds along with six dimes, and forward Zed Key, who had 20 points. Liddell has also now had at least three blocks in his past four games.
Meanwhile, the Nittany Lions entered their game against the Miami (Fla.) Hurricanes this past Wednesday without any home losses -- but there's a first time for everything. Penn State was within striking distance but couldn't close the gap as they fell 63-58 to Miami (Fla.). One thing holding Penn State back was the mediocre play of guard Sam Sessoms, who did not have his best game: he finished with only eight points on 4-for-12 shooting in his 33 minutes on the court.
OSU is the favorite in this one, with an expected 5.5-point margin of victory. Those who got lucky with them against the spread last week might want to hold off on placing bets this time since the team has yet to string together back-to-back wins against the spread.
OSU is now 5-2 while the Nittany Lions sit at 4-3. A couple numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: The Buckeyes are 38th worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 11.3 on average. Penn State has experienced some struggles of their own as they are stumbling into the contest with the 358th fewest takeaways in college basketball, having accrued only 7.9 on average. It's possible one of these Achilles' heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 7:30 p.m. ET
- Where: Bryce Jordan Center -- University Park, Pennsylvania
- TV: Big Ten Network
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $27.99
The Buckeyes are a solid 5.5-point favorite against the Nittany Lions, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The line has drifted a bit towards the Buckeyes, as the game opened with the Buckeyes as a 3.5-point favorite.
Ohio State have won seven out of their last 11 games against Penn State.
- Feb 18, 2021 - Ohio State 92 vs. Penn State 82
- Jan 27, 2021 - Ohio State 83 vs. Penn State 79
- Jan 18, 2020 - Penn State 90 vs. Ohio State 76
- Dec 07, 2019 - Ohio State 106 vs. Penn State 74
- Feb 07, 2019 - Ohio State 74 vs. Penn State 70
- Mar 02, 2018 - Penn State 69 vs. Ohio State 68
- Feb 15, 2018 - Penn State 79 vs. Ohio State 56
- Jan 25, 2018 - Penn State 82 vs. Ohio State 79
- Feb 28, 2017 - Ohio State 71 vs. Penn State 70
- Mar 10, 2016 - Ohio State 79 vs. Penn State 75
- Jan 25, 2016 - Ohio State 66 vs. Penn State 46