WWE SmackDown results, recap, grades: Drew McIntyre sends a message to Karrion Kross ahead of Extreme Rules
McIntyre took his frustrations out on Austin Theory on SmackDown in Winnipeg
Drew McIntyre is upset. The former WWE champion put a whooping on Austin Theory and sent a message to Karrion Kross on WWE SmackDown on Friday.
Kross and Scarlett have gotten the better of McIntyre at nearly every turn since they returned to WWE in August. McIntyre took his frustrations out on Theory and Alpha Academy ahead of what should be a physically grueling showdown between McIntyre and Kross at Extreme Rules. Johnny Gargano and Kevin Owens, who have repeatedly butted heads with Theory on run, also got in on the fun.
Elsewhere on SmackDown, Sami Zayn and Solo Sikoa continued to build chemistry in The Bloodline, Ronda Rousey and Liv Morgan got physical and WWE paid tribute to a late legend.
CBS Sports was with you all night with recaps and highlights of all the action from Canada Life Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
McIntyre, Gargano and Owens unite to put Theory to the test
Karrion Kross targeted Drew McIntyre in a pre-taped vignette. Kross touted McIntyre's toughness and promised to hospitalize him at Extreme Rules.
Theory took part in a backstage interview, reflecting on his failed attempts to cash in the Money in the Bank briefcase and mocking McIntyre. Theory ranted about McIntyre's stupidity. McIntyre walked up behind Theory and challenged him to a match.
McIntyre put a beating on Theory in a very short match. The bout ended unceremoniously after Alpha Academy -- Chad Gable and Otis -- attacked McIntyre. Gargano came to McIntyre's defense, but the numbers overwhelmed him. It was the arrival of Owens that leveled the playing field and sent the bad guys packing.
Backstage, McIntyre and Panda Express -- a tag team name that Gargano and Owens previously used on the independent scene -- expressed their shared vision to take out Theory. Following his exit from the conversation, Owens ran into his best friend Sami Zayn. Owens advised Zayn to find a new shirt, pointing to Zayn's "Honorary Uce" tee.
Drew McIntyre and Panda Express (Kevin Owens and Johnny Gargano) def. Austin Theory and Alpha Academy (Chad Gable and Otis) via pinfall after McIntyre flattened Theory with a Claymore Kick. The heroes were given plenty of opportunities to show off to the Canadian fans in attendance. Owens had a particularly exciting flurry of offense including a big DDT, Steenbreaker, cannonball corner senton and senton atomico. Following the match, McIntyre took a strap and whipped it across Theory's back. McIntyre inaudibly shouted at the camera, no doubt a message to Kross ahead of their "strap match" at Extreme Rules.
A rare week of SmackDown where the focus was not on the growing and complex dynamics of The Bloodline. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but there isn't enough juice with Theory and Alpha Academy right now for a show-carrying storyline. The continuity between stories -- such as Owens' brief interaction with Zayn, and McIntyre whipping out the strap ahead of Extreme Rules -- are great ways to present a cohesive product. It wasn't the most compelling episode of SmackDown, but it laid the foundation for better things to come. The reunion of Owens and Gargano is particularly welcomed for fans of in-ring action. Grade: C+
What else happened on WWE SmackDown?
- Solo Sikoa and Sami Zayn def. Ricochet and Madcap Moss via pinfall after Sikoa flattened Ricochet with the Spinning Solo uranage.
- Jey Uso confronted Zayn, telling the "Honorary Uce" that he sees through his deception and will make him pay if Zayn jeopardizes The Bloodline.
- Max Dupri ran into Maximum Male Models, informing the group he was disappointed by their performances but expressed enthusiasm that they'd set the Canadian record for the longest pose.
- Hit Row (Top Dolla and Ashante Adonis) def. Los Lotharios (Angel Garza and Humberto Carrillo) via pinfall after planting Carrillo with their Heavy Hitter tag team move.
- Ronda Rousey def. Natalya via submission after locking in a grape-vined ankle lock. Morgan and Rousey had a pull-apart brawl after the match.
- Imperium beat down Sheamus ahead of GUNTHER vs. Sheamus next week.
- WWE paid tribute to Antonio Inoki following news that the pro wrestling and mixed martial arts pioneer had died.
- Bayley def. Shotzi Blackheart via pinfall courtesy of the Rose plant maneuver. Bayley attempted to crush Shotzi between a ladder but Bianca Belair made the save.
- Dupri clocked Maximum Male Models and accused them of having their focus in the wrong place. Dupri said that he couldn't do this anymore and was nixing the whole project.