Appalachian State @ No. 24 Louisiana
Current Records: Appalachian State 10-2; Louisiana 11-1
What to Know
The Appalachian State Mountaineers and the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns are set to square off in a Sun Belt matchup at 3:30 p.m. ET Dec. 4 at Cajun Field. Both teams come into the contest bolstered by wins in their previous games.
The Mountaineers took their game against the Georgia Southern Eagles last week by a conclusive 27-3 score. Appalachian State can attribute much of their success to WR Thomas Hennigan, who caught three passes for one TD and 111 yards, and QB Chase Brice, who passed for two TDs and 235 yards on 24 attempts. Brice's 68-yard touchdown toss to Hennigan in the fourth quarter made for one of the most memorable moments of the afternoon.
Appalachian State's defense was a presence as well, as it got past Georgia Southern's offensive line to sack QB Connor Cigelske four times for a total loss of 31 yards. Leading the way was LB Nick Hampton and his two sacks. Hampton now has seven sacks this season.
Meanwhile, Louisiana didn't have too much breathing room in their matchup with the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks last week, but they still walked away with a 21-16 win. No one had a standout game offensively for Louisiana, but they got scores from RB Chris Smith, WR Kyren Lacy, and RB Emani Bailey.
This next contest is expected to be close, with the Mountaineers going off at just a 2.5-point favorite. The odds have been favorable for them against the spread on the road this season, even if it's been tough sledding overall. They are 3-1 ATS in away games but only 7-4 all in all.
Appalachian State is now 10-2 while the Ragin' Cajuns sit at 11-1. Two defensive numbers to keep in mind before kickoff: Appalachian State is 150th worst in the nation in rushing touchdowns allowed, with 14 on the season. Louisiana has experienced some struggles of their own as they are stumbling into the game with the 164th most passing touchdowns allowed in the nation, having given up 16 on the season. It's possible one of these Achilles' heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET
- Where: Cajun Field -- Lafayette, Louisiana
- TV: ESPN
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Mountaineers are a slight 2.5-point favorite against the Ragin' Cajuns, according to the latest college football odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Mountaineers as a 2-point favorite.
Appalachian State have won seven out of their last nine games against Louisiana.
- Oct 12, 2021 - Louisiana 41 vs. Appalachian State 13
- Dec 04, 2020 - Louisiana 24 vs. Appalachian State 21
- Dec 07, 2019 - Appalachian State 45 vs. Louisiana 38
- Oct 09, 2019 - Appalachian State 17 vs. Louisiana 7
- Dec 01, 2018 - Appalachian State 30 vs. Louisiana 19
- Oct 20, 2018 - Appalachian State 27 vs. Louisiana 17
- Dec 02, 2017 - Appalachian State 63 vs. Louisiana 14
- Oct 12, 2016 - Appalachian State 24 vs. Louisiana 0
- Nov 28, 2015 - Appalachian State 28 vs. Louisiana 7