Colby Covington did exactly what he said he would on Saturday night in Las Vegas. The former welterweight title challenger repeatedly outwrestled and outworked his former friend and teammate Jorge Masvidal to earn a decision win in the main event of UFC 272 and -- hopefully -- put a close to an ugly rivalry.
Covington bounced back from a pair of losses to champion Kamaru Usman to utilize his patented strategy and control the action from the onset despite a late connection from Masvidal that nearly flipped the fight on its head. Covington took the opportunity postfight to call out another former teammate in former lightweight title challenger Dustin Poirier.
Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news, including instant analysis to UFC 272 at the conclusion of the event below.
CBS Sports was with you throughout fight week with the latest news, in-depth features and betting advice to consider. Thanks for stopping by and we'll see you at UFC 272.
UFC 272 fight card, results
- Colby Covington def. Jorge Masvidal via unanimous decision (49-46, 50-44, 50-45)
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Renato Moicano via unanimous decision (49-45, 49-44, 50-44)
- Bryce Mitchell def. Edson Barboza via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-27)
- Kevin Holland def. Alex Oliveira via second-round TKO (punches)
- Serghei Spivac def. Greg Hardy via first-round TKO (punches)
- Jalin Turner def. Jamie Mullarkey via second-round TKO (punches)
- Marina Rodriguez def. Yan Xiaonan via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Nicolae Negumereanu def. Kennedy Nzechukwu via split decision (29-27, 27-29, 29-27)
- Maryna Moroz def. Mariya Agapova via second-round submission (head and arm choke)
- Umar Nurmagomedov def. Brian Kelleher via first-round submission (rear naked choke)
- Tim Elliott def. Tagir Ulanbekov via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- L'udovit Klein def. Devonte Smith via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Dustin Jacoby def. Michal Oleksiejczuk via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
UFC 272 countdown
- Staff picks and expert predictions for the five main-card fights
- Brookhouse: Three best bets to consider on the fight card from Las Vegas
- Campbell: Masvidal could get an edge with mind games vs. Covington
- Mahjouri: Three fights beyond the main event to watch
- Mahjouri: Dos Anjos says he 'paid the price' after 15 years