Chargers extended GM Tom Telesco prior to start of 2015 season

At a time when many are considering the future of the Chargers brass, sources said that general manager Tom Telesco has already received a previously unannounced contract extension and will be a part of the team moving forward. Given the Chargers current last-place standing in the AFC West, in a year in which the playoffs were expected, some have wondered about the status of coach Mike McCoy and the front office, but Telesco already has a contract and is expected back.

The Chargers have worked to formalize their regime change, with John Spanos now officially in charge of all matters related to football operations rather than longtime owner Dean Spanos, his father. Telesco reports to John Spanos at this point and received a multi-year extension prior to the season, according to sources, while McCoy would be entering the final year of his deal. Though San Diego recently endured a six-game losing streak, and there is speculation about the future of the franchise, in terms of officials and location, Telesco is well-positioned to be a part of the process, with the Spanos family securing his services in the summer.

McCoy could well be next, as injuries and personnel have played a key role in the plight of the team this season. Sources said the Chargers have considerable faith in the head coach and have been impressed by his leadership in the face of so many injuries, but the organization will evaluate the coaching situation after the season.

Telesco and McCoy entered the organization at the same time and reached the playoffs in their first season together -- 2013 -- before falling on more difficult times the past two years. John Spanos is now unquestionably the final authority on Chargers football matters with his father, Dean, trying to move the team to Carson, Calif. and dealing with issues related to that move while establishing his son as the voice of the team.

Tom Telesco has been extended by the Chargers. (USATSI)
Tom Telesco has been extended by the Chargers. (USATSI)

CBS Sports Insider

Before joining CBS Sports, Jason La Canfora was the Washington Redskins beat writer for The Washington Post for six years and served as NFL Network's insider. The Baltimore native can be seen every Sunday... Full Bio

Our Latest Stories