MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for July 11
Friday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Friday, July 11 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our MLB insider reports that San Diego Padres assistant GM A.J. Hinch has removed himself from consideration for the team's GM job.
- Arizona Diamondbacks : Activated OF Mark Trumbo (fractured left foot) prior to Friday night's game.
- Seattle Mariners : Placed OF Michael Saunders on the DL with an oblique injury and recalled 1B Justin Smoak to take his spot on the active roster.
- Baltimore Orioles : Placed RHP Ubaldo Jimenez on the DL with an ankle injury.
- Pirates: The team will not activate RHP Gerrit Cole from the DL when he first becomes eligible on July 20. Cole (85 2/3 IP, 3.78 ERA) has been sidelined since July 4 with a strained right lat. There's not yet a clear time-table for his return to the rotation. (Rob Biertempfel via Twitter)
- Colorado Rockies : Activated OF Carlos Gonzalez (left finger injury) from the DL.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- 2B Ian Kinsler replaced his Detroit Tigers teammated DH Victor Martinez (sore right side) on the AL roster.
- C Miguel Montero of the Diamondbacks replaced St. Louis Cardinals C Yadier Molina (torn thumb ligaments) on the NL roster.
- Cardinals: Claimed C George Kottaras off waivers from the Cleveland Indians .
- Texas Rangers : C Geovany Soto was arrested earlier this week and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession ... The Rangers signed RHP Jerome Williams to a minor-league contract.
- Chicago White Sox : Signed LHP Carlos Rodon, the third overall pick of the June MLB draft, to a $6.582-million signing bonus.
- New York Yankees : Acquired LHP Jeff Francis from the Oakland Athletics for a player to be named.