Georgetown @ Providence
Current Records: Georgetown 6-8; Providence 14-2
What to Know
The #21 Providence Friars and the Georgetown Hoyas are set to square off in a Big East matchup at 5 p.m. ET Jan. 20 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. The Friars are out to keep their ten-game home win streak alive.
Providence beat the St. John's Red Storm 83-73 two weeks ago. Providence got double-digit scores from four players: center Nate Watson (22), guard Jared Bynum (18), guard Aljami Durham (13), and forward Justin Minaya (13). Watson had some trouble finding his footing against the Marquette Golden Eagles two weeks ago, so this was a step in the right direction.
Meanwhile, Georgetown received a tough blow on Sunday as they fell 88-69 to St. John's. Georgetown's defeat came about despite a quality game from guard Aminu Mohammed, who dropped a double-double on 13 points and 12 rebounds.
Providence is the favorite in this one, with an expected 10-point margin of victory. There could be an interesting gambling play in this one, as they have done quite well against the spread at home this season while the Hoyas have struggled against the spread on the road.
The Friars are now 14-2 while Georgetown sits at 6-8. A couple numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: Providence is 29th worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 11.1 on average. Georgetown has experienced some struggles of their own as they are stumbling into the game with the 39th most turnovers per game in college basketball, having accrued 14.8 on average. It's possible one of these Achilles' heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Thursday at 5 p.m. ET
- Where: Dunkin' Donuts Center -- Providence, Rhode Island
- TV: Fox Sports 1
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Friars are a big 10-point favorite against the Hoyas, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The line on this game has moved quite a bit since it opened, as it started out with the Friars as a 13.5-point favorite.
Providence have won eight out of their last 11 games against Georgetown.
- Jan 30, 2021 - Georgetown 73 vs. Providence 72
- Feb 19, 2020 - Providence 73 vs. Georgetown 63
- Dec 31, 2019 - Providence 76 vs. Georgetown 60
- Feb 06, 2019 - Georgetown 76 vs. Providence 67
- Jan 12, 2019 - Georgetown 96 vs. Providence 90
- Feb 24, 2018 - Providence 74 vs. Georgetown 69
- Feb 06, 2018 - Providence 73 vs. Georgetown 69
- Jan 16, 2017 - Providence 74 vs. Georgetown 56
- Jan 04, 2017 - Providence 76 vs. Georgetown 70
- Feb 13, 2016 - Providence 75 vs. Georgetown 72
- Jan 30, 2016 - Providence 73 vs. Georgetown 69
Injury Report for Providence
- A.J. Reeves: Game-Time Decision (Finger)
- Rafael Castro: Out for the Season (Not Injury Related)
Injury Report for Georgetown
- Donald Carey: Game-Time Decision (Illness)
- Kobe Clark: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Jordan Riley: Out for the Season (Shoulder)