10 things to know about Round 2 of the PGA Championship
Rory McIlroy is a world beater but he has some monster names on his heels which means we could be in for a fun weekend at Valhalla.
In case you missed any of the second round at Valhalla, we have you covered. Here's a recap of everything that happened from Friday at the 2014 PGA Championship.
1. Rory, again: Rory McIlroy didn't slit the tournament's throat like I predicted he might on Thursday but he certainly got his knife out.
The thing about these rounds is that he's scoring about as badly as possibly given how he's playing. You could start a bonfire at A&M with all the edges he's burning.
Then there's this madness:
2. More Rickie: Rickie Fowler shot a near-round-of-the-day 66 at Valhalla on Friday and positioned himself in second place behind that Ulsterman kid because, well, simply becuase apparently this is what Rickie Fowler does at major championships.
His card was more colorful than his wardrobe, too:
3. Jason Day in the final group with Rory: Yeah I'll take all of that. Day, who shot 65, actually has only one fewer top five than Rory does at majors but three fewer wins. You can just throw them together for the last 36 and I'd be okay with that, too.
4. Tiger: this is all I can say about Tiger's day. This sums it up perfectly.
5. Mickelson eagles No. 18 to get into the mix: How about this leaderboard? Fowler and Day chasing the Ulsterman with Old Man Mick chasing them all. Lefty shot a 33 on the back that culminated in a dirty eagle on No. 18 to throw his name in the hat for the weekend. And that's a good thing.
6.Westwood struggles: I'm actually sort of glad Lee Westwood got his bad round (72) out of the way early. It would have been too gut-wrenching to watch Rory stick the dagger in him late on the weekend.
7. Here are all the guys who made the cut at all four majors: Quite a list.
Golfers to make the cut at all four majors: Fowler, McIlroy, Furyk, Scott, Walker, Stens, Day, F. Molinari, Oosty, Haas, Sneds, Rose, Stads— Kyle Porter (@KylePorterCBS) August 9, 2014
8. More WDs: Add Angel Cabrera and Boo Weekley to the list of this week's list of big names (okay, pretty big names) who have bailed early. A reminder of how long and grueling the season really is.
9. There was a lot of this going on: This actually made me feel better about my own game because the tree-creek combo is at the top of my personal mistakes regarding my game.
10. This sums up the first two days of this tournament perfectly: And probably the last two months.
The next season of golf has a real chance to be one of the best any of us has ever seen
This season will fascinate as old stars converge with up-and-coming superstars
With a single golf lesson up for auction, Tiger Woods changed some lives forever in Texas this...
The Days have had a rough 2017 from beginning to end
Why in the world would a former FedEx Cup winner hop on 24 hours worth of flights this wee...
Following the debacle at the ANA Inspiration earlier in 2017, Thompson has some thoughts