10 things to know about Round 2 of the PGA Championship
Rory McIlroy is a world beater but he has some monster names on his heels which means we could be in for a fun weekend at Valhalla.
In case you missed any of the second round at Valhalla, we have you covered. Here's a recap of everything that happened from Friday at the 2014 PGA Championship.
1. Rory, again: Rory McIlroy didn't slit the tournament's throat like I predicted he might on Thursday but he certainly got his knife out.
The thing about these rounds is that he's scoring about as badly as possibly given how he's playing. You could start a bonfire at A&M with all the edges he's burning.
Then there's this madness:
2. More Rickie: Rickie Fowler shot a near-round-of-the-day 66 at Valhalla on Friday and positioned himself in second place behind that Ulsterman kid because, well, simply becuase apparently this is what Rickie Fowler does at major championships.
His card was more colorful than his wardrobe, too:
3. Jason Day in the final group with Rory: Yeah I'll take all of that. Day, who shot 65, actually has only one fewer top five than Rory does at majors but three fewer wins. You can just throw them together for the last 36 and I'd be okay with that, too.
4. Tiger: this is all I can say about Tiger's day. This sums it up perfectly.
5. Mickelson eagles No. 18 to get into the mix: How about this leaderboard? Fowler and Day chasing the Ulsterman with Old Man Mick chasing them all. Lefty shot a 33 on the back that culminated in a dirty eagle on No. 18 to throw his name in the hat for the weekend. And that's a good thing.
6.Westwood struggles: I'm actually sort of glad Lee Westwood got his bad round (72) out of the way early. It would have been too gut-wrenching to watch Rory stick the dagger in him late on the weekend.
7. Here are all the guys who made the cut at all four majors: Quite a list.
Golfers to make the cut at all four majors: Fowler, McIlroy, Furyk, Scott, Walker, Stens, Day, F. Molinari, Oosty, Haas, Sneds, Rose, Stads— Kyle Porter (@KylePorterCBS) August 9, 2014
8. More WDs: Add Angel Cabrera and Boo Weekley to the list of this week's list of big names (okay, pretty big names) who have bailed early. A reminder of how long and grueling the season really is.
9. There was a lot of this going on: This actually made me feel better about my own game because the tree-creek combo is at the top of my personal mistakes regarding my game.
10. This sums up the first two days of this tournament perfectly: And probably the last two months.
Steve Stricker and his team will not take a knee at Liberty National
A look back on the year that was on the PGA Tour
Matthew Southgate got maybe the worst beak of all time last weekend
J.T. finally showed the media what was on his phone to start the year
The $10 million man got a party when he got to New York
Malnati had some strong words for the POTUS