Brock Lesnar and UFC have been notified of a second failed drug test by the U.S. Anti-Doping Association (USADA) for the same substance that was found in his out-of-competition test taken on June 28.
This test was the in-competition test taken on July 9, the day of Lesnar's UFC 200 bout against Mark Hunt, which he won by unanimous decision.
After the first failed test, Hunt called for Lesnar's entire purse from the fight -- a record $2.5 million prior to additional payment from pay-per-view buys -- to be paid to Hunt either in full. He previously requested a 50 percent split.
Lesnar has denied taking any banned substance. He reiterated this in a statement on Tuesday. "We will get to the bottom of this," he told the Associated Press.
The exact substance found in both tests has yet to be made known publicly, as it is the fighter's right to keep that information private. With a second failed test, it would seem almost assured that a two-year ban will be coming Lesnar's way from UFC, effectively ending the 39-year-old's mixed martial arts career.
UFC released the following statement on the matter Tuesday.
"The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Brock Lesnar that his in-competition sample collection from July 9, 2016, at UFC 200, has tested positive for the same substance as his previously announced out-of-competition collection on June 28, 2016.
"USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case. It is important to note that, under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, there is a full fair legal review process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed. The Nevada State Athletic Commission also retains jurisdiction over this matter as the sample collection was performed at UFC 200 in Las Vegas.
"Consistent with all previous potential anti-doping violations, additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward."
Lesnar is still scheduled to return to WWE on Aug. 21 at SummerSlam, the company's second-largest event each year, in a bout against returning superstar Randy Orton.
WWE has yet to release any statement on the second failed test. After the first failed test became public, WWE released a brief statement that did not indicate any punishment would be coming Lesnar's way.
"Brock Lesnar has not performed for WWE since WrestleMania and is not scheduled to return until Sunday, August 21," the company said.
WWE wellness policy suspensions are 30 days for a first offense. Should it decide to punish Lesnar, it has enough time to enforce a suspension and have him eligible for SummerSlam.