Report: Manu Ginobili opts out, leaning towards returning to Spurs

San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili reportedly opted out of his contract on Wednesday but he isn't going anywhere. According The Vertical's Shams Charania, Ginobili will become an unrestricted free-agent this summer, however, he is "leaning" towards playing one more season and re-signing with the Spurs:

San Antonio Spurs star Manu Ginobili has decided to opt out of his $2.9 million deal for the 2016-17 season, league sources told The Vertical.

Ginobili had a Wednesday deadline to make a decision on his player option. Ginobili, 38, is leaning toward playing next season and returning to the Spurs under a new contract, sources said.

Ginobili averaged the fewest minutes of his career last year but had a fine season. The Spurs guard averaged 9.6 points on 45.3 shooting, 2.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 19.6 minutes a games. At 38 years old, Ginobili's age caught up with him at times but he is still a more than serviceable player and should be able to continue to fill his role perfectly in San Antonio next season if he returns.

By opting out and with the exploding salary cap, Ginobili could get a larger contract. But since he plays for the Spurs, Ginobili will likely take a hometown discount yet again, allowing San Antonio to re-tool in this summer after losing in the second round of the playoffs last season.

Ginobili wants to return to the Spurs next season (USATSI)
CBS Sports Writer

Ananth Pandian has been writing about all NBA-related things including the social and lifestyle aspect of the sport for CBS Sports since 2015. His name is actually easy to pronounce, just remember it is... Full Bio

Our Latest Stories