Eye on College Basketball Podcast: On Calipari, Wichita and Wooden
Gary Parrish and CBS Sports' Seth Davis discuss Davis' new book on UCLA icon John Wooden before getting into conversations about Wichita State, San Diego State, John Calipari and Doug McDermott.
I sat down Thursday with CBS Sports' Seth Davis to look back, look ahead and discuss a number of issues in the sport. Among them:
- How great is the Wichita State story of a possible undefeated season?
- Why can't some understand WSU is really good regardless of league affiliation?
- How did Steve Fisher build San Diego State into a West Coast monster?
- Should fans -- like, say, Maryland fans -- be more patient with coaches?
- Does John Calipari really think writers are rooting for his Kentucky Wildcats to fail?
- And does Calipari realize it was writers who ranked his team preseason No. 1?
- Why do some reject Doug McDermott as a historically great college player?
Beyond all that, we spent the first half of the podcast talking about Seth's new book -- "Wooden: A Coach's Life." I asked Seth why he decided to take on this challenge, how difficult it was to try to profile Wooden from every angle, and if the iconic UCLA coach was really as principled as he presented himself to be late in life?
The latest Eye on College Basketball podcast is below.
Give it a listen.
--> MP3: download the episode here.
--> Popout player: to play pod in a separate window on the Web.
--> If you're not already subscribed via iTunes, please do so now.
Andrew Jones is Texas' second leading scorer
Oklahoma's star freshman has a father who has been there and done that
Kentucky now is at risk of slipping out of the Top 25 (and one)
Cherry's commitment gives ASU a top-20 recruiting class and its highest rated pledge since...
Matt Norlander is on a 11-7 run in college basketball picks and shares his best bets for W...
Kentucky losing this game probably cost it a shot at earning a high NCAA Tournament seed