Boston @ New York
Current Records: Boston 36-35; New York 40-31
What to Know
The Boston Celtics are 16-5 against the New York Knicks since December of 2015, and they'll have a chance to extend that success Sunday. They will face off at 1 p.m. ET May 16 at Madison Square Garden without much rest after finishing up games yesterday. Boston isn't expected to win, but seeing as the odds didn't stop them last game, maybe the squad has another upset up their sleeve.
The Celtics didn't have too much trouble with the Minnesota Timberwolves on the road this past Saturday as they won 124-108. It was another big night for Boston's small forward Jayson Tatum, who dropped a double-double on 26 points and 11 boards.
Meanwhile, it may have taken overtime to finish the job, but New York ultimately got the result they were hoping for this past Saturday with a 118-109 victory over the Charlotte Hornets. The team ran away with 63 points in the first half and mostly just sat on those in the second to pick up the win. New York's power forward Julius Randle did his thing and posted a triple-double on 33 points, 13 dimes, and ten rebounds. Randle now has six triple-doubles this season.
Boston is now 36-35 while the Knicks sit at 40-31. Both teams are in the playoff hunt, so this is a critical game. The Celtics are expected to win this handily, but they should have beaten the Oklahoma City Thunder April 27 easily too and instead slipped up with a 119-115. In other words, don't count New York out just yet.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 1 p.m. ET
- Where: Madison Square Garden -- New York, New York
- TV: ESPN
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Knicks are a big 12-point favorite against the Celtics, according to the latest NBA odds.
The line on this game has moved quite a bit since it opened, as it started out with the Knicks as an 8.5-point favorite.
Boston have won 16 out of their last 21 games against New York.
- Apr 07, 2021 - Boston 101 vs. New York 99
- Jan 17, 2021 - New York 105 vs. Boston 75
- Dec 01, 2019 - Boston 113 vs. New York 104
- Nov 01, 2019 - Boston 104 vs. New York 102
- Oct 26, 2019 - Boston 118 vs. New York 95
- Feb 01, 2019 - Boston 113 vs. New York 99
- Dec 06, 2018 - Boston 128 vs. New York 100
- Nov 21, 2018 - New York 117 vs. Boston 109
- Oct 20, 2018 - Boston 103 vs. New York 101
- Feb 24, 2018 - Boston 121 vs. New York 112
- Jan 31, 2018 - Boston 103 vs. New York 73
- Dec 21, 2017 - New York 102 vs. Boston 93
- Oct 24, 2017 - Boston 110 vs. New York 89
- Apr 02, 2017 - Boston 110 vs. New York 94
- Jan 18, 2017 - New York 117 vs. Boston 106
- Dec 25, 2016 - Boston 119 vs. New York 114
- Nov 11, 2016 - Boston 115 vs. New York 87
- Mar 04, 2016 - Boston 105 vs. New York 104
- Feb 02, 2016 - Boston 97 vs. New York 89
- Jan 12, 2016 - New York 120 vs. Boston 114
- Dec 27, 2015 - Boston 100 vs. New York 91
Injury Report for New York
- Luca Vildoza: Out (Not Injury Related)
- Mitchell Robinson: Out (Foot)
Injury Report for Boston
- Evan Fournier: Out (Knee)
- Jayson Tatum: Out (Ankle)
- Tristan Thompson: Out (Chest)
- Kemba Walker: Out (Neck)
- Marcus Smart: Out (Calf)
- Robert Williams III: Out (Toe)
- Jaylen Brown: Out for the Season (Wrist)