SMU @ Temple
Current Records: SMU 18-5; Temple 13-9
What to Know
The Temple Owls haven't won a game against the SMU Mustangs since Feb. 8 of 2020, but they'll be looking to end the drought on Wednesday. Temple and SMU will face off in an American Athletic battle at 9 p.m. ET at Liacouras Center. The Owls are out to keep their three-game home win streak alive.
Temple came up short against the Tulane Green Wave on Saturday, falling 92-83. Temple's defeat shouldn't obscure the performances of forward Zach Hicks, who shot 5-for-11 from beyond the arc and finished with 21 points and seven rebounds, and guard Tai Strickland, who had 15 points and five assists. Strickland hadn't helped his team much against the South Florida Bulls last week, so this was a nice turnaround for him.
Meanwhile, SMU had enough points to win and then some against the East Carolina Pirates on Saturday, taking their matchup 80-66. The Mustangs got double-digit scores from four players: guard Emmanuel Bandoumel (23), guard Michael Weathers (13), forward Marcus Weathers (11), and guard Zach Nutall (10).
The Owls are expected to lose this next one by 4.5. However, those who like betting on the underdog should be happy to hear that they are 7-3 against the spread when expected to lose.
Temple is now 13-9 while SMU sits at 18-5. A pair of numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: Temple has only been able to knock down 40.50% percent of their shots, which is the 18th lowest field goal percentage in college basketball. The Mustangs' defense has more to brag about, as they they have been holding their opponents to a field goal percentage of 40.20%, which places them 31st in college basketball. So the cards are definitely stacked in their favor.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Liacouras Center -- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- TV: ESPN University
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $9.99
The Mustangs are a 4.5-point favorite against the Owls, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 4.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
SMU have won six out of their last ten games against Temple.
- Jan 29, 2022 - SMU 69 vs. Temple 61
- Jan 11, 2021 - SMU 79 vs. Temple 68
- Dec 30, 2020 - SMU 79 vs. Temple 71
- Feb 08, 2020 - Temple 97 vs. SMU 90
- Jan 18, 2020 - SMU 68 vs. Temple 52
- Feb 13, 2019 - Temple 82 vs. SMU 74
- Jan 10, 2018 - Temple 66 vs. SMU 64
- Feb 09, 2017 - SMU 66 vs. Temple 50
- Jan 04, 2017 - SMU 79 vs. Temple 65
- Jan 24, 2016 - Temple 89 vs. SMU 80
Injury Report for Temple
- Jake Forrester: Game-Time Decision (Illness)
- Damian Dunn: Game-Time Decision (Leg)
- Jeremiah Williams: Game-Time Decision (Shoulder)
- Khalif Battle: Out for the Season (Foot)
Injury Report for SMU
- Isiah Jasey: Out for the Season (Achilles)