Monday's injury roundup: Giancarlo Stanton hopes to play before opening day
Miami's Giancarlo Stanton still isn't running, but is taking batting practice. He said he hopes to play in the team's exhibition games at Marlins Park on April 1-2. Meanwhile, Cardinals utility man Skip Schumaker appears to be headed to the disabled list with a tear in his right oblique.
Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton doesn't know when he'll return to the field, but hopes his caution allows him to be on the field on opening day.
Stanton hasn't played since March 11, first with a wrist injury and then with a sore left knee. His knee, he told the Palm Beach Post, hasn't made any progress and still isn't running.
Still, Stanton is taking batting practice and hopes to play by April 1 when the Marlins face the Yankees in an exhibition game at Marlins Park.
• Cardinals utility man Skip Schumaker has a tear in his right oblique and may start the season on the disabled list. [St. Louis Post-Dispatch]
• The Mariners got two players back in the lineup on Monday, DH Jesus Montero (illness) and shortstop Brendan Ryan (quad). Montero homered in his return, while Ryan was 2 for 3 with a double. [Seattle Times]
• Red Sox shortstop Jose Iglesias (groin) returned to the lineup on Monday, going 0 for 3 in his return. The Red Sox are also close to getting outfielder Ryan Sweeney (quad) back. He ran some baserunning drills on Monday and hopes to return to the lineup soon. [WEEI.com]
• X-rays on Robinson Cano's left hand were negative. The Yankees' second baseman was hit in the hand on Sunday and exited the game with the Orioles, but the team got good news when he was examined by doctors. [MLB.com]
• The Indians say outfielder Michael Brantley left Monday's game with mild hamstring tightness.
"They feel it's nothing serious," manager Manny Acta told reporters, including CBSSports.com Insider Danny Knobler.
• White Sox right-hander Jesse Crain doesn't know when he'll resume throwing. He hasn't pitched since March 12 because of a right oblique strain. [Chicago Tribune]
• Orioles left-hander Zach Britton was scratched from a minor-league start on Monday, but was bothered by inflammation in his shoulder. [MASNSports.com]
J.D. Martinez is reportedly headed to Boston on a free-agent contract
Keep tabs on the top 50 free agents on the market right here
Arizona didn't waste much time turning to its fallback option following Martinez's deal with...
The former AL MVP has been one of baseball's best players in recent years
The free-agent slugger will join the Red Sox after all
Harper would prefer if reporters respect his wishes