MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for March 20
Thursday's full spring training recap -- transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
On the MLB spring training front, here's all that's worth knowing for Thursday, March 20 ...
- There's plenty from our own Mr. Heyman. First, Heyman has learned that extension talks have broken off between the Indians and right-hander Justin Masterson. It appears that Masterson is now bound for free agency after the upcoming season.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Orioles: Have signed reliever Luis Ayala, possibly to a minor-league deal.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Blue Jays: Have claimed INF/OF Matt Tuiasosopo off waivers from the Diamondbacks.
- Marlins: MLB.com's Joe Frisaro writes that the Marlins don't seem willing to trade any of their young pitchers right now.
- Astros: X-rays on the injured hand of SS Carlos Correa were negative. Correa was forced from Wednesday's game after being struck on the left hand by a pitch.
- Braves: On Friday, RHP Brandon Beachy will undergo Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career.
- Giants: 2B Marco Scutaro received an injection in his ailing back and, according to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, is now 50-50 to be ready by opening day.
- Reds: CL Aroldis Chapman, who suffered facial fractures and a mild concussion when he was struck in the face by a line drive on Wednesday night, underwent successful surgery on Thursday to insert a titanium plate at the fracture site. He should be able to throw again in 10 to 14 days and return to game action in four to six weeks.
- Tigers: Our own Jon Heyman reports that SS Jose Iglesias is likely to miss the entire 2014 season because of leg fractures. There is a chance, however, that he could return late in the year.
This would undoubtedly be the worst trade in Miami Marlins history
The Pirates recently shipped Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen to Houston and San Francisco,...
Surely, Martinez and his agent are holding out for more
The reliever had a very good 2017 season with the NL Central champs
We don't need to discuss Chipper's Hall of Fame case, so let's have fun instead
Dioner Navarro still hopes to return someday