Rockets impress Kent Bazemore by bringing Olajuwon, Drexler to meeting
Houston is serious about Kent Bazemore
The Houston Rockets brought Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, franchise player James Harden and owner Leslie Alexander to their 12:01 a.m. ET meeting with guard Kent Bazemore to start free agency, as first reported by NBA.com's David Aldridge. It appears they mean business.
"Hearing how they loved the city, hearing how even after their playing career is over, you're still a part of the Rockets and part of the Rockets family, and having Les Alexander there, I thought was huge, especially for a 12:01 meeting," Bazemore's agent, Austin Walton, said, via Fox 26's Mark Berman. "You get the owner out, I thought was extremely impressive, and have him talk about how those relationships have been cultivated, and how they last well beyond your basketball playing careers. I was extremely impressed."
Regardless of whether or not Bazemore signs in Houston, this is the happiest story of free agency so far. It was not that long ago that Bazemore was a fringe player at the bottom of the Golden State Warriors roster. At the 2014 trade deadline, he was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers for Steve Blake. Now he's being recruited by The Dream and The Glide.
- July 1 is Bazemore's 27th birthday.
- No deal was reached at this meeting, according to cleveland.com's Chris Haynes, so Bazemore will continue to talk to teams.
- The Lakers, who declined to make him a restricted free agent two years ago, have reached out to him, via the Los Angeles Daily News' Mark Medina.
- The Nets are "working hard" to recruit Bazemore, according to NBA.com's David Aldridge. He has a great relationship with coach Kenny Atkinson from their time together in Atlanta.
- It might take $19-20 million to sign Bazemore, according to ESPN's Zach Lowe. Lowe reported before free agency began that Memphis and Milwaukee would be among his suitors, too.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
The SportsLine Projection Model has simulated Sunday's Pacers vs. Nuggets matchup 10,000 times.
The SportsLine Projection Model has simulated Sunday's Spurs vs. Heat matchup 10,000 times.
Frank Vogel hasn't gotten nearly enough credit for his job leading the Lakers this season
That Smart holds a 3-point shooting mark over the likes of Larry Bird, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce...
The Trail Blazers save $12.3 million by getting off Bazemore's contract
The SportsLine Projection Model has simulated Saturday's Lakers vs. Rockets matchup 10,000...