Greg Hardy made plenty of news during his first season with the Cowboys, and almost always for the wrong reasons. And now, according to CBS Radio's 105.3 the Fan, the team will part ways with the mercurial pass rusher.
Hardy signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys last March and as recently as Oct. 27, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team "absolutely" wanted to give Hardy a contract extension.
This came after Hardy, who served a four-game suspension for a domestic-violence incident to start the season, said he hoped to come out "guns blazing" in his return to the field, made some weird comments about Tom Brady's wife, explained how he planned to stop quarterback Eli Manning -- "Hit him in the mouth" -- and got into a sideline shouting match with teammate Dez Bryant after shoving a Cowboys assistant coach.
By November, owner and general manager Jerry Jones had backed off those extension remarks, and in early January, the Dallas Morning News reported that, "a few teammates who had supported Hardy early began to sour on him late in the season, in part because his perpetual tardiness for team meetings never resulted in a reduction of playing time."
So it wasn't surprising when coach Jason Garrett declined to talk about Hardy's future in Dallas, saying he didn't “want to get into any personnel decisions right now.”
For now, it looks like the Cowboys will head into the 2016 season without two young pass rushers; in addition to Hardy, 2015 second-round pick Randy Gregory will face a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Gregory, a top-10 talent, wasn't drafted until the 60th pick because of off-field issues, including a failed drug test at last year's combine.
“This is a disappointment," Stephen Jones said of Gregory's supsension. "We have been clear with Randy about what his responsibilities are and what is expected of him. This is something that he is going to have to work through and correct.”