All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Dec. 8
As the Winter Meetings get underway, it's mostly scuttle and speculation for Sunday.
The Winter Meetings are getting underway in Orlando, and we'll be here throughout the week to keep you posted on anything and everything. As for Sunday, it was mostly a day of scuttle, so let's recap what you need to know ...
RUMORS & SPECULATION
- John Axford : Our own Jon Heyman reports that the Chicago Cubs , Baltimore Orioles and Seattle Mariners are among the teams interested in the veteran reliever/closer.
- Andrew Bailey : Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors writes that 15 teams have expressed interest in Bailey, the former closer who's coming off yet another injury-plagued campaign.
- Jamey Carroll : From Heyman, the Texas Rangers , Cleveland Indians , Toronto Blue Jays , Tampa Bay Rays , Kansas City Royals and San Diego Padres are among the teams interested in the veteran utility man.
- Chase Headley : The Chicago White Sox have long been interested in acquiring the Padres' third baseman, but, as Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago writes, there probably won't be a deal if the Pads insist on receiving lefty Jose Quintana in return.
- Raul Ibanez : Joel Sherman tweets that the Atlanta Braves , Colorado Rockies , Mariners and Rangers are among the teams interested in the 41-year-old slugger.
- Omar Infante : More from Heyman, as the Royals and New York Yankees are competing over the services of Infante, who's now the top second baseman on the free agent market.
- Michael Morse : Per Joel Sherman, the Rangers, Rockies, San Francisco Giants and Miami Marlins all have interest in Morse, who's a free agent.
- Masahiro Tanaka: According to Ben Badler of Baseball America, the president of the Rakuten Eagles has told Japanese media that Tanaka will likely be posted if the coveted right-hander says he wants to be made available to MLB teams.
- Delmon Young: Young is working out at first base in an effort to make himself more appealing on the market, tweets Ken Rosenthal.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Not exactly hot stove related, but franchise legend Orel Hershiser will reportedly rejoin the organization to become a TV broadcaster on the forthcoming Sports Net LA.
- Mariners: Will Geoff Baker's front-office expose affect Seattle's ability to attract additional free agents? It's not out of the question ... Heyman tweets that Nick Franklin is among the young Mariner players who's likely to be moved in a trade for frontline veteran help.
- New York Mets : Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets may be willing to trade Daniel Murphy and give the every-day second base job to Eric Young Jr. ... Andy Martino tweets that the Mets would prefer to trade Ike Davis rather than Lucas Duda ... Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star-Ledger writes that the Mets have inquired about Johan Santana .
- Washington Nationals : Sources tell Bill Ladson of MLB.com that the Nats are interested in lefty relievers like Oliver Perez , J.P. Howell , Boone Logan and Scott Downs . The Nationals also may have their eye on John Buck as backup catcher. Back on the lefty reliever front, Ken Rosenthal tweets that Eric O'Flaherty may also be a potential target.
- Orioles: Our man Heyman tweets that the O's haven't ruled out a run at a pricey outfielder like Shin-Soo Choo or Nelson Cruz ... Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that the O's may have an eye on reliever Chris Perez , formerly of the Indians.
- Padres: Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Pads may shop Kyle Blanks , Jesus Guzman or Alexi Amarista in exchange for help in the bullpen.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : A.J. Burnett has yet to decide whether he'll retire or pitch one more season, writes Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Rockies: Troy Renck tweets that Raul Ibanez and Michael Young are of interest to Colorado.
- White Sox: Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that the Sox will not be trading lefty ace Chris Sale .
- Yankees: Chad Jennings of LoHud.com writes that the Yankees have been receiving calls on outfielder Brett Gardner , which is no surprise. The Yankees have also reportedly been trying to interest teams in fellow outfielder Ichiro Suzuki ... Per Heyman, the Yanks have also "checked in" on Mike Pelfrey .
Our Latest Stories
Don't run on the field, people. Especially when Angel Pagan is in the house
Not that you thought otherwise, but Miggy's finishing up strong as the Tigers eye the post...
Bruce initially struggled after being traded to the Mets. He's not struggling now
Ortiz's two-run blast gave the Red Sox a 5-3 lead that would hold up, dealing the Blue Jays...
Here's a look at the postseason race standings with three days left in the regular season
GM John Mozeliak says the team probably isn't going to exercise their option on Holliday for...