College Football Bottom 25 rankings: Upheaval in the bottom four as well
Anybody can rank the 25 best teams in the country, but only we can rank the 25 worst
There was a lot of attention paid to the fact that five of the top 10 teams in the College Football Playoff Rankings lost over the weekend -- including three of the top four -- but the chaos was not limited to the top of the polls.
Down here in The Bottom 25, we had our own shakeup.
Eight teams that were ranked in last week's Bottom 25 won over the weekend, including three in our Bottom 10, and two of our Bottom Four.
So it isn't just the race for the national title that became more interesting over the weekend, but the race for the Bottom 25 title as well.
Of course, our version Alabama -- Kansas -- just keeps on keeping on too, so maybe everyone here is playing for second place as well.
Before we get to the new rankings, a quick refresher on how it all works.
1. My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the rankings. They are based on a mathematical formula of my creation. Keep this in mind before you call me an idiot, which I know you will.
2. There is true equality to start. Math doesn't play favorites. Before the season begins, defending national champion Alabama is just as good as our defending Bottom 25 champion Central Florida. The only factor that matters in the rankings is how you've performed on the field in 2016.
3. Wins and losses mean more than anything. I have a lot of different statistics involved, and I factor in strength of schedule (remember, everybody begins the season with the same SOS), but at the end of the day whether you won or lost is going to mean more than anything else. Also, my formula doesn't have much respect for FCS teams.
4. I won't share the formula. I just don't want to. I'm not a mathematician. I know my formula isn't perfect. I don't think a perfect formula can exist, so I don't share it because I don't care what anybody thinks about it. So don't ask.
25. East Carolina, 3-7 (Last week: Not ranked): East Carolina drops back into The Bottom 25 this week after losing to SMU. It was a bit of a surprise, because Charlotte was ranked No. 25 last week, lost to Rice, and somehow fell out of the rankings anyway.
Last week: 55-31 loss vs. SMU | Next week: vs. Navy
24. Connecticut, 3-7 (20): And then there's UConn, which had last week off, and nearly escaped The Bottom 25 in the process.
Last week: No game | Next week: at Boston College
23. UL-Monroe, 4-6 (14): The Warhawks have now won two straight, but remain in the Bottom 25 as our only four-win team.
Last week: 37-23 win at Georgia State | Next week: at Appalachian State
22. Nevada, 3-7 (NR): The Wolf Pack returns to the Bottom 25 after being lovely hosts to San Diego State and Donnell Pumphrey this week. Pumphrey rushed for 198 yards against Nevada, becoming the sixth player in college football history to eclipse 6,000 career rushing yards in the process.
Last week:46-16 loss vs. S.D. State | Next week: vs. Utah State
21. Florida Atlantic, 3-7 (11): The Owls were another one of our Bottom 25 winners last week, but when those wins come against other Bottom 25 teams, it makes it a lot harder to get out of the Bottom 25 yourself.
Last week: 35-31 win vs. UTEP | Next week: vs. Old Dominion
20. Georgia State, 2-8 (21): The Panthers fired coach Trent Miles after their latest loss, and honestly, I don't know that it was the right move. Miles hasn't won a lot of games at Georgia State, but who the hell would have at this point? Plus, he just led this team to a bowl game last season.
Last week: 37-23 loss vs. UL-Monroe | Next week: vs. Ga. Southern
19. Illinois, 3-7 (NR): Illinois escaped for a week, but it comes right back to us after being pasted by Wisconsin. When your three wins this season are against Murray State, Rutgers and Michigan State, they'll only carry you so far away.
Last week: 48-3 loss at Wisconsin | Next week: vs. Iowa
18. Iowa State, 2-8 (13): After beating Kansas on Saturday, the Cyclones are no longer the best one-win team in the country. They're now the second-best two win team. Movin' on up!
Last week: 31-24 win at Kansas | Next week: vs. Texas Tech
17. Virginia, 2-8 (24): The Cavs have lost five straight, but if you watch them play, they strike you as a team that isn't nearly as bad as the record suggests. That provides some comfort for the future I guess.
Last week: 34-14 loss vs. Miami | Next week: at Georgia Tech
16. Florida International, 3-7 (17): Florida International didn't play last week, but they did grab some headlines, as they have reportedly hired Butch Davis as its next coach. Because if FIU has learned anything, it's that hiring former head coaches that haven't been head coaches in a while is always the right move. Maybe if Butch Davis falls through, the Panthers can hire Mack Brown in 2019.
Last week: No game | Next week: vs. Marshall
15. Marshall, 3-7 (7): Now that was the Marshall I'd been waiting to see all year. I just figured it would show up against one of the 50 Conference USA teams that have appeared in these rankings, not Middle Tennessee.
Last week: 42-17 win vs. Middle Tennessee | Next week: at FIU
14. Oregon State, 2-8 (18): Oregon State is making a habit of staying in games lately, which is a good sign going forward. Unfortunately we live in the present, and staying in games isn't nearly enough to get you out of The Bottom 25.
Last week: 38-24 loss at UCLA | Next week: vs. Arizona
13. UTEP, 3-7 (16): Guess the Miners couldn't keep all the momentum from a win against Houston Baptist going.
Last week: 35-31 loss at FAU | Next week: at Rice
12. Purdue, 3-7 (19): Let's break down Purdue's last three games against Penn State, Minnesota and Northwestern. In the first halves of those games, Purdue has actually out-scored opponents 55-54. In the second half, Purdue has been out-scored 97-17. I think I see a trend.
Last week: 45-17 loss vs. Northwestern | Next week: vs. Wisconsin
11. Arizona, 2-8 (15): I don't think Rich Rodriguez is in any real danger of losing his job at the end of the season, but is there a chance RichRod will lose his job at the end of the season? Because things are not going well in Tucson right now.
Last week: 49-24 loss vs. Colorado | Next week: at Oregon State
10. San Jose State, 3-7 (10): The Spartans had last week off. Good for them. I'd like a weekend off soon too, but you don't see me taking any. I guess some of us are harder workers than others. Maybe that's why I write The Bottom 25 and you're in The Bottom 25, San Jose State. Maybe you should think about that.
Last week: No game | Next week: vs. Air Force
9. New Mexico State, 2-7 (12): The Aggies became the latest Sun Belt team to lose to our former Bottom 25 leader Arkansas State.
Last week: 41-22 loss at Arkansas State | Next week: vs. Texas State
8. Massachusetts, 2-8 (9): The Minutemen had last week off. So many lazy teams around here!
Last week: No game | Next week: at BYU
7. Buffalo, 2-8 (8): The Bulls should lose this week's game against Western Michigan, which could set up a huge matchup against Bowling Green to finish the season.
Last week: 35-24 loss vs. Miami (OH) | Next week: at Western Michigan
6. Rice, 2-8 (3): Rice! What were you thinking? You were down 21-0 against Charlotte and you came back and won! You may have thrown away your title hopes.
Last week: 22-21 win at Charlotte | Next week: vs. UTEP
5. Bowling Green, 2-8 (2): Honestly, the closer we get to the end of the season and a Bottom 25 champion, the more the pressure builds. Some teams crack under it. Like Bowling Green. They became the second team to possibly ruin their title hopes this season by beating Akron, just like Buffalo did a few weeks ago. Side note: what the hell, Akron?
Last week: 38-28 win at Akron | Next week: vs. Kent State
4. Fresno State, 1-9 (4): The Bulldogs had last week off too, but they made the most of it, and mainted their ranking in the Bottom Four.
Last week: No game | Next week: vs. Hawaii
3. Rutgers, 2-8 (6): It says an awful lot about you when you manage to get shut out 49-0 by another Bottom 25 team. Rutgers has the heart of a Bottom 25 champion.
Last week: 49-0 loss at Michigan State | Next week: at Penn State
2. Texas State, 2-7 (5): If the Bobcats can pull off a loss to New Mexico State this weekend, this is a team that can give Kansas a run for its money. Which means our Bottom 25 Game of the Century of the Week has huge title implications.
Last week: 47-14 loss vs. Idaho | Next week: at New Mexico State
1. Kansas, 1-9 (1): The king stay the king.
Last week: 31-24 loss vs. Iowa State | Next week: vs. Texas
No Longer Ranked: Missouri (22), Michigan State (23), Charlotte (25)
McElwain will coach receivers and help coordinate the offense for the Wolverines
Nathaniel Watson Jr. was involved in a car accident that injured a passenger in early Febr...
The honorable Tom Fornelli presides over the ASU vs. UM case
Arkansas State is seeking $650,000 for a canceled home game last September due to Hurricane...
Friday Five is tackling the big questions this week
Two unnamed players are being investigated for an incident at an off-campus apartment