The most unlikely thing about the game was not Ottavino uncorking four wild pitches in one inning. It was Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen walking a batter. Jansen walked Nolan Arenado with one out in the ninth for his first free pass of 2017.
Because walking a batter isn't rare enough, Jansen also crushed an RBI double in Sunday's game. He actually has more hits as a batter (two) than walks as a pitcher (one) in 2017.
Here's the list of pitchers with the most batters faced without a walk this season going into Sunday's game:
- Kenley Jansen, Dodgers: 112 batters faced
- Evan Scribner, Mariners: 34 (currently on the 60-day DL)
- Anthony Bass, Rangers: 31 (currently in Triple-A)
- Andrew Moore, Mariners: 26 (has appeared in one game)
- Chris Gimenez, Twins: 22 (position player!)
That's quite the list of players, isn't it?
Jansen has 52 strikeouts and one walk in 32 2/3 innings this year. That's a 14.3 K/9 and 0.3 BB/9.