2014 NFL Mock Draft: Starting with Clowney, Bortles still in play at No. 1
What if the Texans decide to pass on Blake Bortles and the quarterbacks? That makes Jadaveon Clowney No. 1 in this shaken-up seventh mock.
I've done six previous mock drafts, and in each of them I had the Houston Texans taking a quarterback with the first overall pick.
For this one, Mock No. 7, I do not.
There's a chance the Texans pass on the top quarterback prospects and take South Carolina defensive end Jadaveon Clowney. I don't think it will happen, but it could.
So for this one, I have Clowney going No. 1 to the Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars , picking third, taking the first quarterback, that being Central Florida's Blake Bortles. I think a month from now Bortles will be the Texans' guy. For now, I am open to other ideas, thus the change.
Hey, we have to shake it up, right?
1. Houston Texans -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: Just for this one, I have the Texans taking the edge rusher. It has nothing to do with a pro day either.
2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn: The signing of Kenny Britt won't take them out of the receiver market, but Robinson might be the safest pick.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: They could spend time easing him in with Chad Henne signed.
4. Cleveland Browns -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: Speed, speed and more speed. Josh Gordon and Watkins? Wow.
5. Oakland Raiders -- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: Matt Schaub is far from the long-term answer. They go with Johnny Football.
6. Atlanta Falcons -- Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M: This is the safe pick for a team that has to protect Matt Ryan better.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: He would provide a nice edge rusher to go with Michael Bennett from the linebacker spot.
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: Norv Turner likes deepball throwers, and Bridgewater can be that.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan: It just seems to make too much sense that they take a tackle to upgrade their line.
10. Detroit Lions -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: He's big and can run, which is a nice combination.
11. Tennessee Titans -- Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: I will keep him in this spot because they have a real need as they move to more 34 looks.
12. New York Giants -- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: I will keep him here for now after they lost Linval Joseph .
13. St. Louis Rams -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: Their back end needs upgrading in the worst way.
14. Chicago Bears -- Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State: They have to get better up front. They've added some bodies, but not enough.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State: Ike Taylor isn't a kid and they need to find a replacement.
16. Dallas Cowboys -- Zack Martin, G/T, Notre Dame: This would make their offensive line the strong point of the team after having so many problems.
17. Baltimore Ravens -- Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: He would be their next Anquan Boldin . Steve Smith is essentially on a oneyear deal.
18. New York Jets -- Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: They have a big hole at corner and this kid could fill it.
19. Miami Dolphins -- C.J. Mosley , LB, Alabama: Their linebackers weren't very good last season. They need help.
20. Arizona Cardinals -- Kony Ealy, OLB/DE, Missouri: They are looking for more edge rushers and this kid has the speed, even if he didn't always play to it.
21. Green Bay Packers -- Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State: They looked so slow at times at linebacker. Shazier can run.
22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU: With DeSean Jackson gone, they have to get somebody to play outside.
23. Kansas City Chiefs -- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State: They have to get help for Dwayne Bowe . It's as simple as that.
24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: This kid is rising in the eyes of the scouts. He has unreal athletic ability.
25. San Diego Chargers -- Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame: They have to get stronger in the middle of their defense.
26. Cleveland -- Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State: They pass on a quarterback with the fourth pick and end up taking Carr here.
27. New Orleans Saints -- Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn: He has the speed off the edge they have to get.
28. Carolina Panthers -- Cyrus Kouandijo, T, Alabama: They have issues at receiver, but they have to get a left tackle.
29. New England Patriots -- Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville: He could be their Kam Chancellor for Devin McCourty , their good free safety.
30. San Francisco 49ers -- Marqise Lee, WR, USC: Why is he dropping down so many boards? It makes no sense. The 49ers need another receiver.
31. Denver Broncos -- Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU: He's the type of football player that a GM like John Elway would love to have.
32. Seattle Seahawks -- Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU: He would be the big target to go with Percy Harvin outside.
The top three-technique prospect in the draft could see his name not called at all
The former Florida football player was expected to be a second-round pick in the NFL Draft
This much is certain: The Browns desperately need a quarterback
The man who signed Romo is happy to see him move on from playing the game
Roger Goodell typically announces all the first-round picks, but he'll make an exception this...
NFL teams find out their schedule on the same day you do