The Steelers' record against terrible teams remains terrible after loss to Dolphins
Since the 2009 season, the Steelers have 14 losses against teams that are a combined 25-87
Heading into Sunday's game against the lowly Miami Dolphins , the Pittsburgh Steelers looked like one of the best teams in the AFC. But as has happened more times than coach Mike Tomlin would like to remember, the Steelers have an uncanny ability to no-show against the league's worst teams.
It happened again in Miami against the one-win outfit that struggled to get first downs over the first five weeks of the season. Against Pittsburgh, Ryan Tannehill looked like a legit franchise quarterback, Jay Ajayi looked like Larry Csonka, and the Steelers were helpless to do anything about it.
When it was over, the Dolphins won easily, 30-15.
How bad has it been? Here are the gory details:
- 2009, Week 11: 6-3 Steelers lose to 2-7 Kansas City Chiefs , 27-24. Line: Steelers -11.5
- 2009, Week 13: 6-5 Steelers lose to 3-8 Oakland Raiders , 27-24. Line: Steelers -15.0
- 2009, Week 14: 6-6 Steelers lose to 1-11 Cleveland Browns , 13-6. Line: Steelers -10.0
- 2012, Week 3: 1-1 Steelers lose to 0-2 Raiders, 34-31. Line: Steelers -4.0
- 2012, Week 6: 2-2 Steelers lose to 1-4 Tennessee Titans , 26-23. Line: Steelers -6.5
- 2012, Week 12: 6-4 Steelers lose to 2-8 Browns, 20-14. Line: Steelers -2.0
- 2012, Week 14: 7-4 Steelers lose to 4-8 San Diego Chargers , 34-24. Line: Steelers -7.5
- 2013, Week 4: 0-3 Steelers lose to 0-3 Minnesota Vikings , 34-27. Line: Steelers -3.0
- 2013, Week 8: 2-4 Steelers lose to 2-4 Raiders, 21-18. Line: Steelers -2.5
- 2014, Week 4: 2-1 Steelers lose to 0-3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers , 27-24. Line: Steelers -7.5
- 2014, Week 10: 6-3 Steelers lose to 1-8 New York Jets , 20-13. Line: Steelers -4.0
- 2014, Week 13: 7-4 Steelers lose to the 4-7 New Orleans Saints , 35-32. Line: Steelers -3.5
- 2015, Week 16: 9-5 Steelers lose to the 4-10 Baltimore Ravens , 20-10. Line: Steelers -10.0
- 2016, Week 6: 4-1 Steelers lose to the 1-4 Dolphins, 30-15. Line: Steelers -7.0
That's 14 losses over six seasons to teams with a combined record of 25-87, which works out to a winning percentage of .195. The Steelers, meanwhile, were 64-46, a winning percentage of .581. The Steelers were also favored in every game.
Jay Ajayi is the 1st player with 200 rush yds against the Steelers since Week 12 of 2000 (Fred Taylor: 234 rush yds for Jaguars) pic.twitter.com/QTUiBFYWL1— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 16, 2016
The good news, we guess, is that the Steelers face the New England Patriots next week, a team that last had a losing record in 2000.
If you're looking for excuses, Pittsburgh has battled injuries this season -- but so has every other team. Either way, Ben Roethlisberger thinks it may have something to do with the physical practices. (In related news: Roethilsberger left Sunday's game briefly with a knee injury.)
Whatever the explanation, the team's first two picks in the 2015 draft -- linebacker Bud Dupree and cornerback Senquez Golson -- were both injured in training camp and neither has played a snap in the regular season. Veteran wideout Markus Wheaton has missed three games with a shoulder injury. Meanwhile, these starters are currently sidelined after missed at least one game: Right tackle Marcus Gilbert , inside linebacker Ryan Shazier and one of the team's best players, defensive end Cam Heyward.
After the Steelers host the Patriots, they'll have a bye week before games against Baltimore and Dallas.
If you're looking for a silver lining, there's this: The Steelers finished 8-8 in both 2012 and 2013 when they lost to terrible teams on six occasions. But they've made the postseason the last two years, when the inexplicable losses happened "just" four times.
The singer sent a message with a verse of scripture on Monday night
The Cowboys owner joined in a demonstration with the Cowboys players before Monday night's...
Look for Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott to rebound after a rough outing in Denver
Quarterback Russell Wilson was one of the chief proponents for the Seahawks staying in the...
The Steelers offensive lineman was only on the field by accident during Sunday's national...
It was an emotional day in Philadelphia for the parents of kicker Jake Elliott