Reds' Scooter Gennett becomes 17th player to hit four home runs in one game
Scooter Gennett victimized the Cardinals on Tuesday and made history in the process
Reds utility man Scooter Gennett on Tuesday night against the Cardinals hit four home runs (CIN 13, STL 1). In doing so, he tied the major-league record for home runs in a single game and became just the 17th player in MLB history to pull off the feat. Gennett becomes the first to homer four times in a game since Josh Hamilton of the Rangers in 2012.
Here's his night ...
Gennett entered Tuesday night's game with just three homers in 111 at-bats this season. As well, he also entered the game with 38 home runs in 502 big-league games. That latter observation brings us to this ...
Also, know that Gennett wasn't exactly on fire coming into this particular contest against the Cardinals ...
Framed yet another way, Gennett when he woke up on Tuesday was batting .270/.308/.450 on the season. After going 5 for 5 with 17 total bases (!), he's now batting .302/.336/.578. Baked into his night is a grand slam, and that brings us to this additional layer of history ...
So by now you know that Hamilton and Whiten have both hit four homers in a game. Here's the full list of 17 players to accomplish the impressive feat:
- Scooter Gennett, Reds, June 6, 2017 vs. Cardinals
- Josh Hamilton, Rangers, May 8, 2012 vs. Orioles
- Carlos Delgado, Blue Jays, Sept. 25, 2003 vs. Devil Rays
- Shawn Green, Dodgers, May 23, 2002 vs. Brewers
- Mike Cameron, Mariners, May 2, 2002 vs. White Sox
- Mark Whiten, Cardinals, Sept. 7, 1993 vs. Reds
- Bob Horner, Braves, July 6, 1986 vs. Expos
- Mike Schmidt, Phillies, April 17, 1976 vs. Cubs
- Willie Mays, Giants, April 30, 1961 vs. Braves
- Rocky Colavito, Indians, June 10, 1959 vs. Orioles
- Joe Adcock, Braves, July 31, 1954 vs. Dodgers
- Gil Hodges, Dodgers, Aug. 31, 1950 vs. Braves
- Pat Seerey, White Sox, July 18, 1948 vs. Athletics
- Chuck Klein, Phillies, July 10, 1936 vs. Pirates
- Lou Gehrig, Yankees, June 3, 1932 vs. Athletics
- Ed Delahanty, Phillies, July 13, 1896 vs. Colts
- Bobby Lowe, Beaneaters, May 30, 1894 vs. Reds
And finally, here's some well wishes from four-homer club mate Cameron ...
Have a night, Scooter Gennett.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Stephen Oh has a three-way parlay that could pay off huge on Wednesday.
Keep it right here for all of Tuesday's MLB action
Bud Black addressed the media on Tuesday following a report that Story could have UCL damage...
Theo Epstein made the announcement before Tuesday night's game
Looking ahead with some Padres optimism as the 2018 season comes to a close
The foursome of Lester, Hendricks, Quintana and Hamels has been outstanding for weeks