Through 3 Quarters
Only one more quarter stands between the Utah Jazz and the victory they were favored to collect going into this night. They have emerged as the frontrunner and are ahead of the Detroit Pistons 89-82.
Small forward Bojan Bogdanovic has led the way so far for the Jazz, as he has 21 points in addition to five rebounds. One thing to keep an eye out for is Rudy Gobert's foul situation as he currently sits at four.
Detroit has been led by shooting guard Cade Cunningham, who so far has 19 points and four assists along with five boards and two blocks.
Detroit has lost 97% of the time when they were down heading into the fourth quarter this year, so this one seems just about wrapped up
Detroit @ Utah
Current Records: Detroit 11-33; Utah 29-16
What to Know
The Detroit Pistons are staying on the road on Friday to face off against the Utah Jazz at 9 p.m. ET Jan. 21 at Vivint Arena. The Pistons aren't expected to win, but seeing as the odds didn't stop them last game, maybe the team has another upset up their sleeve.
It was a close one, but on Wednesday Detroit sidestepped the Sacramento Kings for a 133-131 victory. Detroit can attribute much of their success to small forward Saddiq Bey, who shot 5-for-9 from beyond the arc and finished with 30 points and seven boards. Bey had some trouble finding his footing against the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday, so this was a step in the right direction.
Speaking of close games: Utah was within striking distance but couldn't close the gap on Wednesday as they fell 116-111 to the Houston Rockets. This was hardly the result Utah or its fans were betting on, as they were favored by 14 points over Houston heading into this contest. A silver lining for the Jazz was the play of center Rudy Gobert, who had 23 points in addition to nine rebounds.
The Pistons' win brought them up to 11-33 while Utah's loss pulled them down to 29-16. Two offensive numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: Detroit has only been able to knock down 41.80% percent of their shots, which is the second lowest field goal percentage in the league. Utah's offense has more to brag about, as they they enter the matchup with a 47.50% field goal percentage, which is the best in the league. We'll see if their 5.70% advantage translates to a win.
How To Watch
- When: Friday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Vivint Arena -- Salt Lake City, Utah
- TV: ATTSN Rocky Mountain
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $27.00
The Jazz are a big 14-point favorite against the Pistons, according to the latest NBA odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Jazz as a 14.5-point favorite.
Utah have won ten out of their last 13 games against Detroit.
- Jan 10, 2022 - Detroit 126 vs. Utah 116
- Feb 02, 2021 - Utah 117 vs. Detroit 105
- Jan 10, 2021 - Utah 96 vs. Detroit 86
- Mar 07, 2020 - Utah 111 vs. Detroit 105
- Dec 30, 2019 - Utah 104 vs. Detroit 81
- Jan 14, 2019 - Utah 100 vs. Detroit 94
- Jan 05, 2019 - Utah 110 vs. Detroit 105
- Mar 13, 2018 - Utah 110 vs. Detroit 79
- Jan 24, 2018 - Utah 98 vs. Detroit 95
- Mar 15, 2017 - Utah 97 vs. Detroit 83
- Jan 13, 2017 - Utah 110 vs. Detroit 77
- Jan 25, 2016 - Detroit 95 vs. Utah 92
- Oct 28, 2015 - Detroit 92 vs. Utah 87
Injury Report for Utah
- Hassan Whiteside: Out (Covid-19)
- Donovan Mitchell: Out (Concussion)
Injury Report for Detroit
- Isaiah Livers: Out (Foot)
- Killian Hayes: Out (Hip)
- Frank Jackson: Out (Covid-19)
- Jerami Grant: Out (Thumb)
- Luka Garza: Out (Covid-19)