Through 3 Quarters
The Portland Trail Blazers and the Sacramento Kings have one more quarter to figure out who will atone for their previous loss and who will be sent home a loser yet again. Three quarters in and Portland's offense has really been able to impose its will, dominating Sacramento 82-67 three quarters in.
Rip City has been riding high on the performance of center Jusuf Nurkic, who has dropped a double-double on 14 points and 13 rebounds along with seven assists. This makes it four consecutive games in which Nurkic has had at least 12 rebounds. One thing to keep an eye out for is Ben McLemore's foul situation as he currently sits at four.
The Kings have been led by shooting guard Tyrese Haliburton, who so far has 16 points and eight assists.
This is the first time the Trail Blazers have been ahead going into the fourth quarter in the past nine games.
Sacramento @ Portland
Current Records: Sacramento 16-25; Portland 14-24
What to Know
The Sacramento Kings are on the road again on Sunday and play against the Portland Trail Blazers at 9 p.m. ET Jan. 9 at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. If the game is anything like the Kings' 125-121 victory from their previous meeting in November of last year, the scorekeeper will be kept real busy.
Sacramento came up short against the Denver Nuggets this past Friday, falling 121-111. A silver lining for Sacramento was the play of point guard De'Aaron Fox, who had 30 points and five assists along with seven boards. Fox's night made it three games in a row in which he has scored at least 30 points.
Meanwhile, Portland lost to the Cleveland Cavaliers at home by a decisive 114-101 margin. The top scorers for Rip City were small forward Norman Powell (19 points) and power forward Robert Covington (17 points).
Barring any buzzer beaters, Sacramento is expected to win a tight contest. Those sticking with them against the spread have guts, to put it politely, as the team has let down bettors in their past three games.
The losses put Sacramento at 16-25 and Rip City at 14-24. A couple defensive numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: The Kings are third worst in the league in points allowed per game, with 113.9 on average. Rip City has experienced some struggles of their own as they have allowed their opponents to shoot 47.90% from the floor on average, which is the highest shooting percentage allowed in the league. It's possible one of these Achilles' heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Moda Center at the Rose Quarter -- Portland, Oregon
- TV: NBC Sports California
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $18.75
The Kings are a slight 1.5-point favorite against the Trail Blazers, according to the latest NBA odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 1.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Portland have won 16 out of their last 23 games against Sacramento.
- Nov 24, 2021 - Sacramento 125 vs. Portland 121
- Oct 20, 2021 - Sacramento 124 vs. Portland 121
- Mar 04, 2021 - Portland 123 vs. Sacramento 119
- Jan 13, 2021 - Portland 132 vs. Sacramento 126
- Jan 09, 2021 - Portland 125 vs. Sacramento 99
- Mar 07, 2020 - Sacramento 123 vs. Portland 111
- Dec 04, 2019 - Portland 127 vs. Sacramento 116
- Nov 12, 2019 - Sacramento 107 vs. Portland 99
- Oct 25, 2019 - Portland 122 vs. Sacramento 112
- Apr 10, 2019 - Portland 136 vs. Sacramento 131
- Jan 14, 2019 - Sacramento 115 vs. Portland 107
- Jan 01, 2019 - Portland 113 vs. Sacramento 108
- Feb 27, 2018 - Portland 116 vs. Sacramento 99
- Feb 09, 2018 - Portland 118 vs. Sacramento 100
- Nov 18, 2017 - Portland 102 vs. Sacramento 90
- Nov 17, 2017 - Sacramento 86 vs. Portland 82
- Dec 28, 2016 - Portland 102 vs. Sacramento 89
- Dec 20, 2016 - Sacramento 126 vs. Portland 121
- Nov 11, 2016 - Portland 122 vs. Sacramento 120
- Apr 05, 2016 - Portland 115 vs. Sacramento 107
- Mar 28, 2016 - Portland 105 vs. Sacramento 93
- Jan 26, 2016 - Portland 112 vs. Sacramento 97
- Dec 27, 2015 - Portland 98 vs. Sacramento 94
Injury Report for Portland
- Larry Nance Jr.: Out (Knee)
- CJ McCollum: Out (Chest)
- Norman Powell: Out (Covid-19)
- Damian Lillard: Out (Abdomen)
Injury Report for Sacramento
- Maurice Harkless: Game-Time Decision (Ankle)
- De'Aaron Fox: Game-Time Decision (Shoulder)
- Richaun Holmes: Out (Covid-19)
- Damian Jones: Out (Covid-19)