Tennessee @ Mississippi State
Current Records: Tennessee 16-6; Mississippi State 14-7
What to Know
The #19 Tennessee Volunteers are 7-2 against the Mississippi State Bulldogs since January of 2016, and they'll have a chance to extend that success on Wednesday. Tennessee and MSU will face off in an SEC battle at 9 p.m. ET at Humphrey Coliseum. If the game is anything like their last meeting in last January, where the Volunteers won 56-53, we could be in for a big score.
Tennessee made easy work of the South Carolina Gamecocks on Saturday and carried off an 81-57 victory. Four players on Tennessee scored in the double digits: guard Josiah-Jordan James (20), guard Zakai Zeigler (18), guard Santiago Vescovi (13), and guard Kennedy Chandler (11). This also makes it three games in a row in which Kennedy Chandler has had at least three steals.
Meanwhile, MSU came up short against the Arkansas Razorbacks on Saturday, falling 63-55. The top scorer for the Bulldogs was guard Iverson Molinar (19 points).
Barring any buzzer beaters, the Volunteers are expected to win a tight contest. The odds have been favorable for them against the spread on the road this season, even if it's been tough sledding overall. They are 5-2 ATS in away games but only 13-9 all in all.
Tennessee's win brought them up to 16-6 while MSU's defeat pulled them down to 14-7. Tennessee is 9-6 after wins this year, and MSU is 5-2 after losses.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET
- Where: Humphrey Coliseum -- Starkville, Mississippi
- TV: ESPN2
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $10.00
The Volunteers are a slight 1.5-point favorite against the Bulldogs, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 1.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Tennessee have won seven out of their last nine games against Mississippi State.
- Jan 26, 2021 - Tennessee 56 vs. Mississippi State 53
- Feb 01, 2020 - Mississippi State 86 vs. Tennessee 73
- Mar 15, 2019 - Tennessee 83 vs. Mississippi State 76
- Mar 05, 2019 - Tennessee 71 vs. Mississippi State 54
- Mar 09, 2018 - Tennessee 62 vs. Mississippi State 59
- Feb 27, 2018 - Tennessee 76 vs. Mississippi State 54
- Feb 04, 2017 - Mississippi State 64 vs. Tennessee 59
- Jan 21, 2017 - Tennessee 91 vs. Mississippi State 74
- Jan 16, 2016 - Tennessee 80 vs. Mississippi State 75
Injury Report for Mississippi State
- KeShawn Murphy: Out for the Season (Not Injury Related)
Injury Report for Tennessee
- Olivier Nkamhoua: Out (Ankle)