Utah @ No. 20 Southern California
Current Records: Utah 5-1; Southern California 6-0
What to Know
The Utah Utes and the #20 Southern California Trojans are set to square off in a Pac-12 matchup at 11:30 p.m. ET Dec. 1 at Galen Center. The teams split their matchups last year, with the Utes winning the first 71-61 at home and USC taking the second 91-85.
The contest between Utah and the Brigham Young Cougars on Saturday was not particularly close, with Utah falling 75-64. Despite the defeat, Utah got a solid performance out of center Branden Carlson, who had 17 points along with six rebounds and three blocks.
Meanwhile, USC strolled past the San Diego State Aztecs with points to spare last week, taking the matchup 58-43. The Trojans can attribute much of their success to guard Drew Peterson, who had 16 points in addition to six boards, and forward Isaiah Mobley, who posted a double-double on 18 points and 12 rebounds. Peterson had some trouble finding his footing against the Saint Joseph's Hawks last Thursday, so this was a step in the right direction. Peterson's points were the most he has had all year.
The Utes are expected to lose this next one by 7.5. Those burned by picking them against the spread on Saturday might want to keep in mind that the team has not yet dropped back-to-back games against the spread this season.
Utah is now 5-1 while the Trojans sit at 6-0. A couple stats to keep an eye on: Utah is 349th worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 9.8 on average. To make matters even worse for Utah, USC comes into the game boasting the eighth fewest turnovers per game in college basketball at 8.7. So the cards are definitely stacked in USC's favor.
How To Watch
- When: Wednesday at 11:30 p.m. ET
- Where: Galen Center -- Los Angeles, California
- TV: Pac-12 Networks
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Trojans are a big 7.5-point favorite against the Utes, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 7.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Utah have won seven out of their last 12 games against Southern California.
- Mar 11, 2021 - Southern California 91 vs. Utah 85
- Feb 27, 2021 - Utah 71 vs. Southern California 61
- Jan 02, 2021 - Southern California 64 vs. Utah 46
- Feb 23, 2020 - Utah 79 vs. Southern California 65
- Jan 30, 2020 - Southern California 56 vs. Utah 52
- Mar 07, 2019 - Utah 83 vs. Southern California 74
- Feb 06, 2019 - Utah 77 vs. Southern California 70
- Feb 24, 2018 - Southern California 74 vs. Utah 58
- Jan 14, 2018 - Southern California 84 vs. Utah 67
- Jan 12, 2017 - Utah 86 vs. Southern California 64
- Mar 10, 2016 - Utah 80 vs. Southern California 72
- Feb 21, 2016 - Utah 80 vs. Southern California 69
Injury Report for Southern California
- Isaiah White: Game-Time Decision (Back)
- Boubacar Coulibaly: Game-Time Decision (Ankle)
Injury Report for Utah
- Marco Anthony: Out (Ankle)
- Gabe Madsen: Out (Illness)
- Dusan Mahorcic: Out (Knee)
- Bostyn Holt: Out for the Season (Knee)